Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Videography. What camera?

Default Wedding Videography. What camera?

Hi,
    I am new to wedding videography and am looking for a camera to purchase for the purpose. I am looking for something that shoots in Full HD 1080i, has good low light performance And has XLR inputs (although not essential).

I have a budget of around 3000

What reccomendations would you give?
    I was looking at the Sony HVR-Z5 as it fits these requirements but then heard about the rolling shutter problems it has. Has anybody experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

Also what do you use for audio. Ive heard of people putting a wireless lapel mic on the groom, or would i be better off with an on camera shotgun mic?

I'd get some trining first and worry about gear afterwards, also worth hiring to see what works best for you

Blog Entries

At that sort of price you can find a Canon XH A1. However you won't find anything which shoots in "proper" HD at that price, you're looking at HDV or AVCHD until you get to the Sony at nearly 5k with bits and bobs.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbling11 View Post
    Hi,
    I am new to wedding videography and am looking for a camera to purchase for the purpose. I am looking for something that shoots in Full HD 1080i, has good low light performance And has XLR inputs (although not essential).

I have a budget of around 3000

What reccomendations would you give?
    I was looking at the Sony HVR-Z5 as it fits these requirements but then heard about the rolling shutter problems it has. Has anybody experienced this?

Thanks in advance.
    Rolling shutter is used a lot in CMOS cameras.. It shouldn't be an issue with doing weddings unless you pan fast.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Apparantly the rolling shutter is causing even more problems when filming weddings.
    Flash from togs/guests cameras are a big feature at weddings and cmos cams are losing a frame.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Apparantly the rolling shutter is causing even more problems when filming weddings.
    Flash from togs/guests cameras are a big feature at weddings and cmos cams are losing a frame.
    Really? I've been pretty lucky then, I haven't experienced that issue yet, Just with fast pans, which i try not to do. But I'm going to keep an eye out for that.

Zero, Is that an issues with SD or HDV? Just curious as I've yet to have that issue.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Hi Wil, I'm sure it's HDV. I don't have experience of it, but a few reports have hit UK forums about this phenominum.
    Maybe a google on the subject will throw up more info and solutions
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

If you are shooting weddings then it's important to also realise that most brides don't own a BluRay player so even with HD you will be more than likely shooting in HD but supplying a normal SD DVD to the couple.

The CMOS v CCD argument has been going on a long time and I'm sure plenty of wedding videographers use both successfully!! Because the shutter scan vertically you will get spoilt frames occasionally when working with a photographer and the CMOS sensors are sensitive to bumps (you get the "jello" effect) plus you can get vertical line distortion or breakup on fast pans but you are unlikely to do these anyway!!

Much more important is the fact that you need 2 cameras to shoot weddings!!! so your budget is now halved!! and you need on camera and off camera lighting as well as (already mentioned) a decent radio mic system..(don't even think about using a shotgun at a wedding they are only used when the groom doesn't want to get married)

I think you need to look at your complete gear needs first and then see what you can get that's within your 3K budget.

Chris

Just to clarify, the 3k is for the camera only. I have other money for mics Exc. As for two cameras that bufget is already halved and is rough. Could go to 3500 at a push.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast