Thread: MTS 60i AVCHD rendering too fast! Speed issue

Default MTS 60i AVCHD rendering too fast! Speed issue

Hi guys!

I have a Canon HF200 and it captures in this wonderful format MTS (ugh, sarcasm) thats is being a pain in my rear.

I captured @ 1080p / 60i / 17mbit (fxp mode) and when rendering I either get video thats too fast, or super super slow and choppy. I spent over 3 hours last night researching all these forums and the vast internets to find a resolution to my issue, and the only solution I found was someone who resolved it by outputting the video and audio seperately and then remuxing them. This does not work for me, and actually causes the video to be massivly slow and choppy.

I found people who encoded MTS and replicated their settings but do not get acceptable results (speed issues still present)

Here is a link to one of my MTS files:
    http://vimeo.com/download/video:7449...e8945060b95843

Vimeo atleast encodes it right :P Their new policy is only to keep source video for 7 days now though, so if anyone replies to that after this time I can upload source video elsewhere.

If anyone has any suggestions as to settings / templates to use within vegas, I would greatly appreciate it. Its also frustrating that the editing side of things is soooo slow and choppy with MTS (running dual core 2ghz w/4gb ram), but I've read that its due to the high compression. If there are any workaround's it would be pleasant

PS - I've not shot any action film @ 30p yet to see if the issue is replicated, but I did shoot at 'SD' mode and I was able to render everything *perfect*

Thanks!

I wondered if you had resolved your problem, I'm no help really as I use Corel but I did have issues with playback speed when I first got my HF10 and only resolved it by installing the Combined Community Codec Pack, I had originally installed K-Lite.
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by wandering-free View Post
    I wondered if you had resolved your problem, I'm no help really as I use Corel but I did have issues with playback speed when I first got my HF10 and only resolved it by installing the Combined Community Codec Pack, I had originally installed K-Lite.
    Bryan
    No, Unfortunately I have gotten almost *no* responses from any of the vegas forums I posted on...which is rather sad. I had thought this community (in general) was helpful, but I've been proven incorrect.

I've resorted to using a progressive 30fps setting so that I dont run into (I suspect) encoding issues with interlaced media.

Playback is fine. Its the encoding that is flawed.

I wonder if your problem is that the Canon HF200 uses AVCHD High Profile 4.1, I remember last year when I tried a Vegas Program (can't remember which one) it didn't handle my MTS files of my Canon HF10 which also uses AVCHD High Profile 4.1, at the time some of Sony Vegas programs were only suitable for AVCHD Main Profile 4.0, I believe they have relaxed there restrictions now to include High Profile but at the time I got my camera Sony didn't think amateur's should have the same codec capabilities as professionals, which made me think they were a bit stuck up so I went to Corel ProX2 which had no restrictions on High Profile editing, so you need to make sure your program is suitable for the HF100.
    Bryan
    PS, I forgot to mention if your processor is struggling with your MTS files then the solution is to use Proxy files I know you can do it on Vegas programs but am not familiar with the setup. It's the system I use all the time in Corel they call it Smart Proxy as it does it without you being aware of it, with no input from me, I don't think it is as easy in Vegas, I think what you do is make copies of your videos in a lower resolution that is easy to edit, once you have finished editing you substitute your low resolution copies for the original MTS file and relink the files so the program can then render the originals into whatever format you choose.
    Last edited by wandering-free; 10-21-2009 at 05:16 AM. Reason: need to add some more info.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sorntor View Post
    I had thought this community (in general) was helpful, but I've been proven incorrect.
    That is a totally unreasonable comment to which I take exception.

People can only be helpful if they know the answer or can suggest an answer. If no-one has experienced your problem or has any sensible suggestions then what do you suggest they do?
    Thirty users responding "Sorry I can't help" is absolutely no use (and has the detremental affect of you seeing a response and getting your hopes up before reading it)

Even worse would be people posting wild and innacurate guesses as solutions. Something the mods here are constantly trying to discourage.
    Tim

I didn't respond because I have NO direct personal experience in using ACVHD. However you are more than welcome to have my 3rd-hand understandings I've gleaned from others, and it goes something like this:

A] AVCHD is a great capture and delivery format, but it is NOT meant as an editing format. It captures to a small size utilizing massive compression, so is good for the most recent of cards. This is a good thing.

B] However, all that compression means that it needs to be unpacked at very fast rates indeed for realtime editing. So to edit AVCHD rather use converting software like CineForm or another, the name at present escapes me, and sheep-dip your AVCHD through that. You can then load the output and edit away and leave the original AVCHD archived away.

I actually turned down a teaching job as the college had invested in cameras that created AVCHD, and they wanted me to teach on Vegas. The latter would have been fine, I only wish I was as up to speed on this format back then.

As to this Forum being helpful, and myself as attempting to provide answers as best as I can, I'll take your comments in manner in which they were meant.

Please do look in from time to time and see if there is anything that inspires you to be creative.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    As to this Forum being helpful, and myself as attempting to provide answers as best as I can, I'll take your comments in manner in which they were meant.
    I presume you're taking the comments literally - eg nobody had managed to help the OP, rather than the manner in which they read.

If my response was heavy handed earlier I apologise, (but it still reads to me as a rude comment)
    Tim

Eh? I was referring to "sorntor's comment, and the community here:
    Quote Originally Posted by sorntor View Post
    I had thought this community (in general) was helpful, but I've been proven incorrect.
    . . nobody else?

Found this site

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...e/download.htm

Or try format Factory, to convert from MTS to something that works.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Eh? I was referring to "sorntor's comment, and the community here: . . nobody else?
    Now I'm lost. Obviously we're at cross purposes. Never mind
    Tim