Thread: Adding multiple transitions to event

1. Question Adding multiple transitions to event

Hi,
    I'm editing a short project at the moment. I want to add a fade through black transition between each event.
    Instead of doing it manually I would like to add the transition to all the events at the same time.
    I have used the help.. to no result. I have selected all the events. Dragged the transition to a space between 2 events. It only adds to that particular event not all the events.

Am I making a basic mistake here?

Thanks
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mc View Post
    Dragged the transition to a space between 2 events. It only adds to that particular event not all the events.
    Neeeaarly there .. .

OK, you have 10 Events on Timeline.

Overlap ALL the Events. Either do this manually or get a script.

Add a Transition to the overlap of Event1 and Event2 - say "Blinds".

Right click on the actual overlap and select "Copy"

Select Events 2 thru' 10 and then Right click again on any one of the remaining non-"Blinds" overlaps and select "Paste Event Attributes" (PEA). This WILL have the effect of adding the transition "Blinds" to the remaining overlaps.

2 Points to consider:-

Point 1 - You DON'T add transitions to a space. You add it to an overlap of 2 adjacent Events. You CAN add a transition to one event BUT it will only be effective for itself IF you move the offset.

Point 2 - When using PEA any attributes you had in Event A will be passed TO and ADD to Event 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Point 2 - When using PEA any attributes you had in Event A will be passed TO and ADD to Event 2.
    This is one of the things I DO miss from MSP - to be able to select whether to add or replace when pasting attributes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    This is one of the things I DO miss from MSP - to be able to select whether to add or replace when pasting attributes.
    Agreed. One would have thought it would be a fairly simple addition to the code (though that doesn't necessarily mean it is). From an interface point of view it would just be another option on the right click - "Copy Event Attributes" (as at present) and "Replace Event Attributes".

There again, I'd like to see that expanded to a dialog which offers me the option to select exactly which attributes to copy.

However, if it's starting to get that complex one is probably better off creating custom event packages and just applying that to the selected transitions/events.
    (but there I'd like to see an option to remove an enire package - at present if I add a package which comprises four FX, if I want to remove the package I have to remove four FX individually)

Unless, of couse, Grazie knows a better way - as he usually does,
    Tim

For ADDING multiple Transitions:

1] Select ALL Events you want to have the Transition

2] Select Transition and Drag to Event Selection.

If you wish to Replace an existing Chain of FXs without having to delete the individual FXs links separately

1] Create a Named Plug-In through Plug-In Chooser of the NEW chain of Fxs

2] Select Event you wish to replace the OLD Chain with the NEW Chain and DRAG the NEW Filter Package to the Event. This will replace OLD set of chained Fxs with the NEW Chain.

Blog Entries

Struggled for about 10 seconds with those "replace" instructions, Grazie. Then epiphany moment. So that's what "View | Plug-in Manager" is all about.
    Fantastic!
    Thanks as always Grazie.
    (Though selecting exact WHAT attributes/FX to copy would still be a big plus)
    Tim

Once grasped the concept of chains and Plug-ins it is ALSO possible to exchange the "Presets" Chains throughout the World. To do this use Preset Manager.

One of the drawbacks with Plug-In Manager is it remains stubbornly forgetful about placing them in Folders. I and others have tried to sort them into New Folders, but qt some point VEgas just forgets and the User is once again left with ALL the Filter Packages back in the Folder "FX>Filter Packages"