Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Copying Raw AVCHD files

Default Copying Raw AVCHD files

When copying the raw avchd files from the camera should I copy the whole file or just go in and copy the actual clips - what I mean is that when I go into my computer to look at the camera hard drive it has the avchd file there but if i click on it and go deeper to stream then i can see the clips - they dont play anyway at this stage.......will what i do here affect the ability for my editing program to pick it up?

Blog Entries

In theory, no. All you need to do is archive the files under the stream folder. These are the actual video files, and assuming you have the correct codecs installed on your machine, you will be able to play these within a media player. For example you can play the files directly on a PS3. However, the practice always puts a slant on theory. I archive the entire folder as I use free software from Panasonic to convert ACVHD to DV. As this only works with video recorded on Panasonic cameras, I need to maintain the integrity of the entire file structure to enable conversion. Moreover, I assume that if you ever want to play the files (for whatever reason) on a camcorder, you could always copythe files back to a disk.

So, the short answer is that archiving the video files only is sufficient if you are going to edit AVCHD.

Thanks.

I need to know more about lossless conversion. I have no trouble with copying the raw files from my camera. I want to do this without putting my fottage through programs.
    Last edited by dingdong; 09-10-2009 at 07:53 AM.

So where to from here? I have the footage downloaded but now I need to convert.

Blog Entries

Three options:

1) Buy a video editing application that natively supports AVCHD
    2) Use an applicaion to act as an itermediary between your application and the AVCHD files to "frameserver" the video
    3) Use an seperate application to convert the AVCHD into a format supported by your application.

As I understand from other posts, you are using Corel Studio Pro X2. According to their site, this natively supports AVCHD. So, assuming you are using Corel Studio, it is worth investigating why you cannot get your AVCHD files to work in this application before investigation other avenues. For a start, what are the specs of your PC?

Yeah I heard that too.

A friend said turn my camera to PAL mode and then it might pick it up?

My laptop is a vista HP and is new and has never given me any trouble with WMM for speed and capability of editing vids.

When you say Corel supports AVCHD files then do you mean in their raw state as copied direct from the camera without using the software that came with the camera?
    Last edited by dingdong; 09-10-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
    When you say Corel supports AVCHD files then do you mean in their raw state as copied direct from the camera without using the software that came with the camera?
    ........yep

I have progressed a little. For some reason I had to go up into tools and use the Movie Wizard as it would not import from panel of options on the right hand side of the editing screen which you would have thought would be the place to start.

My files are viewable and I was able to import to the movie wizard. The only problem I seem to be having is that movie wizard seems to be an automatic movie maker and wants to impose themes and stuff and make an auto movie. Surely i dont have to make an auto movie just so Corel can import from that program as well?
    Last edited by dingdong; 09-11-2009 at 06:20 AM.

What file extention is your file ie, MTS or m2ts etc, and what camera are you using, I use Corel ProX2 and have no problem with it editing AVCHD, have you installed the latest patch,

Patches and Updates - Patches and Updates

Bryan

Hi Marc

A quick question about Panasonic??? I import the entire folder structure to my external drive and then use the transcoder to convert to SD 16:9

The transcoder recognises the MTS files and does the transcode BUT at the end it states that "0 files were transcoded" ..However in the destination folder everything is perfect and all the files are intact and edit perfectly????

Any idea why Version 2.1 does that...do you get the same message?????

Chris

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast