Thread: Making music fit the scene

1. Default Making music fit the scene

Hi again,

I have two scenes where music is playing in the background. One is at a dinner scene in a house, the other is in a car. Ive shot the scenes with just the dialogue recorded and i now want to lay the music in the mix

Can anyone give me some tips on how to make the music "fit" properly. I was thinking of removing alot of bass frequencies for both scenes.

Any other tips would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

try playing about with as parametric equalizer and remove some of the lower frequencies. there are no set rules other than experiment and see how it comes out.

Blog Entries

Removing the bass will give it that "Radio" feel. Losing a bit of the top end will help as well. Don't do it too much though or it'll sound like a 60's transistor! Adding a bit of echo (not reverb) will also make it sound a bit further away. In the car scene you might think about trying out different types of echo, most sound softwares have a selection.

In my (limited) experience, unless you're really trying for a particular effect, less is more. You don't want it to sound too bad, just make iot obvious that it is "practical" sound not a music score.

Blog Entries

Not quite right Soundant, what you're forgetting is that, in drama, you're not trying to recreate reality but how we perceive reality.

So, your suggestion that you actually record a radio in situ is okay if you're trying to reproduce what a car radio really sounds like but in televsion/films that's not what you're after. What you're trying to do is make the viewer feel that he's hearing a car radio, which is not the same as reproducing what a car radio really sounds like.

As for your suggestion of pushing the background music levels so high that the viewer has to work to understand what's going on... Not a good idea unless that's what the script demands.

Blog Entries

What is your problem?

You did this before, claiming to be a "broadcast professional" after being called on some dubious advice.

If your advice is good people will take it, if you're talking rot, no matter what you claim to have been in the past, people will ignore you. You seem to feel that you need to have a "professional" cv for your advice to be obeyed.
    Calm down, it's only a forum.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 09-08-2009 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by soundant View Post
    Oh dear.

My advice to the OP was try it yourself and be your own judge, experiment and above all trust your own ears. Hardly “advice to be obeyed”.

The ‘dubious advice’ I offered in another unrelated post was announced as ‘dubious’ by you and you alone. I’m sorry you thought it was dubious - it was however my professional opinion. I’m not sure why you have the right to call it dubious?
    It can’t just be because you are ‘The Gaffa’ ?
    You stated that you had “limited experience” - Well I don’t.

I don’t ‘claim’ to be a sound professional - I just am. What exactly is wrong with that? You seem quite offended by it? People come to this forum and ask questions in the hope that someone with more experience than themselves will have an answer or good advice.

If my advice isn’t welcome here I’m sure the moderators will let me know in good time. Until they do keep the insults to yourself big guy.

Don't worry about insults and stuff. Everyone seems a bit moody in the last few months, perhaps works tough.

What insults? you mean by correcting you 2 before someone wastes time and money following some of you advice.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

8. Default

Thanks all, lets not get personal, lifes too short!