Thread: Firewire to PC issue: JVC MiniDV

Default Firewire to PC issue: JVC MiniDV

I recently bought a JVC GR-D820 MINI DV camcorder after the issues i had with the HDD stopping recording due to vibration...

I also bought a firewire cable in order to be able to transfer the information across to the PC.

From what i have read up on JVC dont make software for its camcorders - which is crazy.

The camcorder is not getting recognised at all by my own pc or on my brothers mac. Im not 100% sure that my PC has the firewire card - it has slots back and front and ive tried them on all. I do know there is a firewire on the Mac but its still not recognised.

What software can be used with this?? Anyone else had similar issues??

P.s I did a search already but if someone can point in the direction of a thread that will help me that would be great!

You don't need any software to connect a mini dv camcorder to a firewire socket. The cable you bought should have a 4 pin socket on one side and a 6 pin (flatter like a USB connection but it won't go into a USB port). On your Windows PC go into the Device Manager and see if IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers is listed, if it is then you have Firewire and just need to find the socket but if it isn't listed you don't have it. If you have a spare PCI slot inside your Windows PC, you can purchase a PCI card with 3 firewire sockets and install it.

Niko - cheers for that. I have the ports but on checking the device manager i see no sign of the IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller.

I have just ordered a PCI card with the slots.

Another Question: how does it transfer the information on the tape to the HD?

Thanks

I've seen computers with the ports but they are not connected to the motherboard. You connect the camcorder to the firewire port on your new card with a firewire cable and the data (a stream of 1's and 0's) is sent down that cable into the pci card and then saved onto the hard disk. It's all digital from beginning to end so there is no loss or conversion. If you haven't defragmented your hard disk in the past few months, make sure you do it before you start to capture. It will prevent dropped frames from occuring and you want to avoid that at all costs.

Well it seems im just having one problem after another.

PCI card arrived today - sloted it in checked Device Manager and there it is sitting and ready to work.

Updated DirectX also as i read elsewhere that u have to have the latest version.

Followed the procedure:

Connect Firewire to PC and then to Camcorder whilst both devices are switched off.

Turned on my pc and let it get to desktop and then i set the camcorder to "play" and at this point the camera should have been recognised by the computer.

I have 2 different firewire cables - one i bought seperate and another i got with the PCI card this morning in the post.

It seems, from what i have read, that it is most likely the DV output on my camera that isnt working - im really at the end of my teather with this!

Any other thoughts Niko? :S

If the computer didn't give the beep beep sound when you turned everything on and the pci card is correctly seated and cable is plugged into both the camcorder and firewire socket, it doesn't look good. This has been a common topic on here over the past year with the firewire socket on the camcorder being fried.

If everything else is working fine and connected correctly and you are not getting any response from the computer that leaves the possibility that the firewire socket is indeed gone on your camcorder. Version 9.0c or version 10 of Direct X will both work with pci firewire cards you shouldn't need the most up to date version.

Yeah the camera i got was a refurbished model from Argos Clearance store on Ebay :( - i guess the only thing to do is get another camcorder. I only got the new/refurbed model a couple of weeks ago.

I suppose it will still do for capturing video - i just need a camera to use in transfering now :S

Cheers Niko.....once again

Just being doing some browsing on ebay and came across a video capture card.

Are they any use?? does the quality of the footage degrade? - cheers in advance!

The example i was looking at:

4CH 50FPS CCTV DVR VIDEO CAPTURE CAM PCI CARD BNC/RCA on eBay (end time 22-Sep-09 20:10:31 BST)

If you have a DVD recorder is there any way of recording it to DVD and then transfering to the computer?
    Last edited by NAZmedia; 09-22-2009 at 04:49 PM.

It should do the job of capturing video from 4 sources but I'd be more inclined to use just one source. It only has mono sound as I can only see a red RCA connector, you need a white RCA connector aswell to give you both left and righ audio. You can duplicate a mono channel in most audio editing software to give you another channel but it isn't really stereo. The 768 by 576 is ok for standard defintion 4:3 video albeit slightly bigger than the 720 by 576. It doesn't say what the frame rate is, you would need to check that out to make sure it is 25fps and not something like 12 or 15 fps which would be useless for video editing. It also records in mpeg 4 so you will either need to get an editor that can handle mpeg 4 natively or do a conversion on it.

It says on the link 50fps?

"Display Speed Resource - 50 Frames per second (PAL),60fps (NTSC)"

Im using Sony Vegas 7.0 at the moment - not sure if it accepts mpeg4 :S