Thread: 42 minute clip - whats going on?

1. Default 42 minute clip - whats going on?

Hi all,

Id really appreciate some help on this one. Ive just captured a shoot we did last night and instead on capturing each take as a separate clip, its captured the whole 42 mins as one clip which didn't happen with may last camera. We shot on my friends XL1 but im capturing the footage off my Sony DCR-TRV50E, Obviously its easier for me to edit from separate clips and im used to working that way.

Why is this happening?

Thanks very much!

Blog Entries

Option 1. You've turned off scene detection in the software. (Withing vidcap : Options | Prefecences - Capture tab "Enable DV scene detection") This is unlikely because if you had, you wouldn't be asking this question as you'd know you'd done it.

Option 2. (Much more likely) Date and Time has not been set on the camera. If date and time is not set, the camera cannot timestamp themedia. If the media is not timestamped, the capture software cannot tell if there's a break in continuity in the time. It is these breaks in continuity that triggers the capture software to begin a new clip.
    Tim

3. Default

Thanks Tim,

It must be option 2 because DV Scene Detection is turned on. Gutted!.....is there an way to go through the entire clip and split it manually? (proffered)....if so, how?.....or another way to edit this footage other than dragging the whole thing into the time line each time i want to find a piece i want to use?

Thanks again

Blog Entries

There are a number of options not all of which may be available to you (not sure which version of Vegas you're using)

1. Recapture the fooftage using a different capture program - one which attempts to detect changes in scenes by analysing the content of the pictures rather than the timecode. I believe the capture utility with Windows Movie Maker does this. Or, recommended by many people a program called Scenalyser Scenalyzer LIVE home page which has a free trial (not sure if this is a fully working time limited version or what)

2. Use the trimmer! That's what it's there for. You load the clip into the timeline. drag to select a bit you want and press "A" to add that section to the current cursor position on the timeline.

3. If you have Vegas Pro you can create subclips: Place your clip in the trimmer. Make a selection over (ie what you want to be your first "clip") Right Click on the selection (on the video track or audio tracK) and select Create Subclip (or click the create subclip button at the top of the trimmer). Name the subclip.
    You can Also create a subclip from the timeline BUT it appears you have to "S" to split the event immediately after making the selection and you don;t get a chance to rename the subclip.

SUBCLIPS appear in the Project Media view but NOT in the Explorer view.

4. If you don't have Pro, you can use a similar method using REGIONS. Within the trimmer, create and name a region for each section. Ensure you have set "Automatically save trimmer markers and regions with media file" in Options| Preferences - General (scroll to the bottom option).

In the Vegas EXPLORER windows (regions don't appear in the Project Media view) make sure that "Region View" is ticked, then with your original avi highlighted in the files windo, the list of regions should appear underneath. These can be dragged to the timeline as required.

I trust one or more of these will assist.
    Tim

I wouldn't recommend the optical scene detection method. It works by detecting changes in lighting/contrast. You end up with literally hundreds of clips, with cuts that are never where you want. Some only a few frames long. I'd definitely go for the trimmer method - it's surprisingly quick. Also, the trial of Scenalyzer features a watermark until you buy it.

6. Default

Thanks alot both, especially Tim for the detailed response. It i have Vegas 6 Pro so im going with the sub-clip option!.......Does that create a new file which would obviously use more storage space????

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moonmin troll View Post
    Thanks alot both, especially Tim for the detailed response. It i have Vegas 6 Pro so im going with the sub-clip option!.......Does that create a new file which would obviously use more storage space????
    No. At least it does not create a file of any significant size. It does not create an additional video file at all. This is why there isn't an additional avi file visible in Windows Explorer - the subclip "files" are only visible in the Project Media window.

There is a slight overhead, in that Vegas will create a .sfk file for each subclip. These are tiny and are not significant.

Knowledgeable users will already know that .sfk files contain the visual representation of the audio waveform for each clip. They are simply "cache" files and exist to save Vegas having to recalculate them every time a clip is loaded. If they are deleted, Vegas will simply recreate them the next time the clip (in this case subclip) is used.
    Tim

8. Default

Cheers Tim your a life saver!.....im actually getting used to working this way now as you only have to deal with one master file which saves alot of searching. Might turn off scene detection for good!!

Thanks again Tim!