Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 359 $ to manage XDCAM with Premiere Pro CS4

Exclamation 359 $ to manage XDCAM with Premiere Pro CS4

It is impossible to export your XDCAM (EX, HD…) project with Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. That means you cannot save your XDCAM work in XDCAM with Premiere. To export XDCAM project with Premiere, you have to buy Mainconcept MPEG PRO HD 4 plug-in, whose price is 359 $ (plus appl. Tax).

This situation is not properly indicated by Adobe, that’s the least that one can say. It wouldn’t be false to say it is even hidden.

If anybody knows how to export XDCAM on Premiere Pro CS4 without buying Mainconcept plug-in, let us know ! (But I do not think it is possible.)

Many others professionnals video editing software, which can be less expensive than Premiere Pro CS4, like Final Cut Studio, Sony Vegas and Canopus Edius, can indeed fully manage XDCAM without paying anything more.
    Last edited by Turmap; 09-21-2009 at 10:53 AM.

you could try using ffdshow. there are a wide variety of codecs built into it.

Thanks for trying to help but ffdshow do not handle at all XDCAM formats. Unlike many others software, it seems definitely that the only way to save / archive XDCAM formats videos with Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 is to pay 359 $ / 279 € (plus appl. Tax). This improper situation must ceased.

A bit of explanations regarding XDCAM EX and Premiere Pro CS4 :

XDCAM EX video container, whose name is MP4, wraps MPEG-2 codec for images + high bit rate PCM codec for audio. So Even if people from Adobe tell you that it is possible, for example, to export XDCAM EX format in mpeg-2 with Premiere pro CS4, be aware that :

- Premiere Pro CS4 does not allow to export MPEG-2 images codec with PCM audio codec, but with MPEG audio codec. MPEG audio codec is 3 megabits per minute maximum, PCM audio codec is 11. That’s why to export XDCAM EX with Premiere makes you lose about 70 % of your original sound information.

- Premiere Pro CS4 does not export Mpeg-2 images with smart rendering. (Smart rendering consists in rendering only sections affected by editing effects, in order to don’t have quality loss on others sections.)

- So to export XDCAM EX MPEG-2 images with smart rendering + XDCAM EX PCM audio codec from Premiere Pro CS4, no choice but to buy 359 $ / 279 € (plus appl. Tax) Mainconcept plug-in.

- Unlike Premiere Pro CS4, most professional video editing softwares (Edius, Final Cut Pro, Vegas...) do export PCM audio codec and MPEG-2 with smart rendering without compelling customers to buy anything more to do it.

mp4 and mpeg 2 are completely different things and you can export mpeg 2 with pcm audio, i did that on wednesday

ytou can also export h.264 in a mp4 container.

You are totally wrong :

XDCAM EX format is MPEG-2 codec images + PCM audio codec. MP4 is only file container name.
    ( Sony : PMW-EX1 (PMWEX1) : Technical Specifications : Other )

Premiere Pro CS4 does not export MPEG-2 with PCM audio, as you can see in this link (which is talking about CS3 but nothing different with CS4) : Adobe Forums: No PCM audio with MPEG2 Multiplexer . Asserting the contrary is a lie, pure and simple.
    Last edited by Turmap; 09-19-2009 at 10:13 AM.

the page you sent me said it records in mpeg and does not specify the container.

i will look at my preset setting to see how i managed to export with PCM audio encoding.

when you export, in the export setting window, select under format MPEG2, choose a preset and then goto audio and select PCM.

Yes it is in preset, but it doesn't work. As it is written in the link I gave you ( Adobe Forums: No PCM audio with MPEG2 Multiplexer ), when you select PCM audio with MPEG-2, Premiere says something like that : "Audio Codec selected is not compatible with this multiplexing mode. Please change the selection".

I repeat : Unlike most professionals video editing softwares (Edius, Final Cut, Vegas...) Premiere Pro CS4 doesn't export XDCAM EX audio, which is PCM codec. To properly export XDCAM EX audio with Premiere, you have to buy 359 $ / 279 € (plus appl. Tax) Mainconcept plug-in, otherwise you'll lose more than 70 % of your sound information ! (And unlike Edius, Final cut, Vegas, etc., Premiere does not correctly export XDCAM EX images, which are MPEG-2 codec. You'll have also to buy Mainconcept plug-in in order to get smart-rendering.)
    Last edited by Turmap; 09-21-2009 at 10:59 AM.

the only way i can get mpeg2 and pcm together is in an avi file.

will this do for you? all you do is change the extension and it does work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast