Thread: Help with BluRay project on Premiere Elements

Default Help with BluRay project on Premiere Elements

I'm currently editing a large volume of wildlife footage and plan to condense it into a 30 minute Blu-Ray DVD which I will use for lecturing to birdwatching and conservation groups. The footage was shot using a Canon XL-H1A. I am editing using Premiere Elements 4. I find the PC really slows up once I get beyond 5 minutes of a movie (the movie is complex and made up of 5-20 second portions of numerous 1-2 minute clips). The PC is so slow it becomes unuseable once the movie is much longer than that. I know more memory (currently 2GB) would help and also that rendering the movie in sections will also help.

My plan is to make the final movie in four minute mini movies; to save each mini movie as a new MPEG file, then as a new project assemble the mini movies into the final 30 minute movie to burn to Blu-Ray. My question is - what format should I used to save my four minute mini movies that will not lose quality ? Premiere Elements gives me to options of HD 1080i 25 or H.264 1080i 25, and I'm not sure which to use.

Thanks,

Neil

H.264 (AVCHD) is probably your best option if you're transferring to bluray because that is the common codec used on many blu-ray disk and would eliminate to need to transcode again.

This should give you a very high quality video.

You're other options are to export in MPEG2 using the same profile as HDV or exporting in uncompressed avi files, which will be the most space hungry but will retain the full quality of the video.

I would export using h.264 as this provide exceptional quality with a small file size but it will use up all of you cpu resources and editing it at a later date will require a more powerful machine.

Thanks for this advice. I encoded each segment as h.264 then brought the segments together as a new project and burned to Blu-Ray in h.264 1080i 25 format. This produced a far superior result than the other Blu-Ray preset which was HD 1080i 25. I have now presented my completed movie to the Borders branch of the Scottish Ornithologists' Club and received some good positive feedback.

I have one more question. If I render each movie segment as h.264 and then import the segments into a new project and burn them to disc, is this more lossy than saving the segments as .avi then importing them into a new project and burning to disc ?

Thanks,

Neil

is you save as UNCOMPRESSED avi then you would get minimal quality loss.

each time you re-encode it, you will degrade the picture quality.