Thread: Do you still cater for 4x3

Default Do you still cater for 4x3

When making titles and framing your shots, do you still think about people that still have a 4:3 television set and wonder if they can see all of the title or only half of their face.

I do all of my editing in Premiere Pro and the title safe is just for Widescreen or Standard so i never really thought about it untill recently.

do you still cater for 4:3 tv's by having the titles within the 4:3 safe areas? or do you go go balls to it all and just use the 16:9 safe area?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post

do you still cater for 4:3
    No. They can always watch letterboxed.
    Tim

Thats what i always though and i set up my dvds to only display it in letter box when the dvd player is set to 4:3 or the widescreen picture if it is set to widescreen.

We have quite a few 4:3 TV owners here but I do try to convince them to use 16:9 footage anyway but I keep the titles within the safe area!!

An interesting point is that my HMC cams actually have a 4:3 grid pattern you can use on the LCD and EVF so you can keep the action with a 4:3 frame.

Main Concept's AVCHD transcoder also has the option of trancoding the HD files from 1920x1080 down to either 16:9 SD AVI or cropped 4:3 SD AVI so if someone insisted on 4:3 I could actually supply the product!!

Chris

Just on 4:3 v 16:9, titles and all that stuff, these days I tend to pull anything which will be potentially 4:3 into a 16:9 letterbox format, 4:3 for me died many years ago.

Just on titles and this is related to youtube I find the title I would do say for something being seen on a TV will stick out on a tube video (youtube shows the full frame even the over scan area) as nearly everything I produce now goes online I tend to title in what would be regarded as very dangerous territory.

Of late I have done many 4:3 conversions to 16:9 again tube stuff, the title safe area from 4:3 becomes literally the edge of frame in 16:9, good for a tube video, not good for one to be seen on TV.

I hope I have expressed myself without the use of multiple numbers and frame sizes.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Chris, do i know you from somewhere? perhaps another forum? I've been looking at the Panasonic HMC cameras. what is the video quality like?