Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using unused tape ....good idea or not? Using unused tape ....good idea or not?

1. Default Using unused tape ....good idea or not? Using unused tape ....good idea or not?

Hey

I have a small problem. I have a wedding tomorrow and I'm sorta short on tapes. I have an extra tape right in front of me, which I have only used 5 minutes of...the rest of the 55 minutes is still good. IS it OKAY, for me to find to reuse the rest the of 55 minutes to do my other recordings on? Obviously I know its bad to retape over things, but in this case I'm just using up the tape I didn't use

Thanks!

Hi
    When I was shooting on tape I always used a new tape every single time...don't get in the habit of re-using tape!!! The more you use it the more oxide is abraded off the tape and clogs your heads!!

I would grab a couple of new tapes and if you need to use the used one, start about 6 minutes in so you are shooting on unused tape!!

Chris

Blog Entries

If you're capable of logging tapes without getting confused about what's on each tape, there's no technical reason why not.

If you're working professionally... It is "good practice" to use a new tape for each project and I would say that it's good practice never to record on a tape that's been taken out of the camera. Get into the habit of flicking the "safety" toggle on the cassette as you take it out of the camera and treat it like a "finalised" DVD, ie you can't record on it anymore.
    Once you have accidentally recorded over material you'll understand the reason for this. :(

But if you're short of tapes... you've got to use whatever you can.

Blog Entries

As already said, it's not technically wrong to do this. In theory you can record over and over a DV tape without generation quality loss - you're recording data, which means it's either not there or corrupted. Although you won't experience generation loss, you will increase the risk of tape failure (broken tape). The more you use a tape, the more you risk having a tape failure.

So no technically wrong, but not the greatest workflow practice. At the risk of stating the obvious, why can't you drive to a dealer and buy some more? Prefereably a large stock of the same media. I would never risk not having enough tape, and would always opt to have a new box of 5 tapes within my kit bag (over and above what I thought were needed).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Softweigh View Post
    The more you use it the more oxide is abraded off the tape and clogs your heads
    Is that really an issue? For such a technically astute bunch of professionals, video editing is awash with, for want of a better phrase, "old wives tales". I'm sure that there is some technical merit to this, but in practice, does this hold true? I used to use a "scratch tape" for recording when I knew I was unlikely to need the footage and for my own personal use. No point in breaking open a new seal if the tapes destined for the cutting room floor.

Using a new tape is best practice for a professional, but in my opinion overly cautious for an amateur.

I've never had any problems what so ever with tapes. i use each tape up to 4 times before i "archive" it in the draw of messyness. i've only ever got a drop out once but that was annoying. i always start a new production with its own tapes though and i capture as soon as i can

what are tapes

loving this new flash media cam

on the other hand, now i sold the HC3 i have a stack of archived tapes with nothing to play them on

you could always get a tape deck.

i really don't think they're worth the money you pay for them. you may aswell get a cheep 100 camera from argos with a 5 yr garuntie

A used tape is a "Known good" item. A new tape isn't. The only serious problem I've ever had was with a new tape. I use mine 5 times then bin'em, so I 'spose I'm sitting on the fence.

One good thing about tape is, you won't lose everything if there's a problem. Unlike solid state memory cards. Second good thing is, they're cheap enough to archive a job. Unlike solid state memory cards.

For weddings I had little option with my camera replacements but to go to SD cards..was I nervous YES!!! in fact I still am a bit but I can check clips during breaks quicker than rewinding tape. I guess I could lose footage but I do keep an eye on the tripod mounted cam while I shoot cutaways with the 2nd one so if I ever saw any error message I would just have to shoot the rest handheld with the camera mic.
    With tape if you hear a horrible grinding noise you still have the situation where you have to stop the camera and try and remove 100' of loose tape before continuing. I look at the situation that I can change a card a lot quicker and get going again than untangle and change a tape.

I wanted shoulder-mount cameras below the $4K mark and the only ones were the Sony HD1000 which has CMOS and terrible lowlight BUT it's a tape drive or my Panasonic HMC72's which are card based.

The confidence is building but I think I will still change cards now and again and keep older ones are spares.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast