Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Fayres - Are they worth doing?

Default Wedding Fayres - Are they worth doing?

Hi all,

I've recently set up a wedding video company (but have been in the video production biz for many years) and have made a couple of videos.

Just got our site up (Perfect Moment Wedding Video : Swanseas Leading Wedding Videos) and fully understand that it will take a year (maybe 2) to get the name out there. I know there is no quick fix!

There are a few wedding fayres coming up in my area (Swansea, UK) and I was woundering if it would be worth the money?

I'm not sure how much it would cost (I assume 150 to 250) but I am aware that I would need some P.O.S. stuff (big screen showing video, banner, flyers and maybe even DVD promos). So I'm looking at around 400 - 500.

Is it worth it? I would need to make at least 1 booking to cover the cost of the fayre and at least 2 bookings to actually make some money.

Any advice or tips?

Many operators with only experience of cheaply publicised 'fayres' and a poor showreel won't have many positives to say about wedding shows, but we have a couple that pull 10k of work onboard + don't forget, every client can also recommend 3 friends if you do a good job.
    Big shows do cost big bucks = 1k , but these shows are frequented by discerning clients who are prepared to pay a premium price and certainly wouldn't attend the cheap, local hotel ones.

The trouble with cheap 'fayres' is the advertising budget which usually tops out at 200 equal to a 2" x 2" ad in the local rag. The organiser wants the profit but can't understand why the punters don't arrive and the show folds.

On the day, be wary of BIG screens as getting too close these will seem pixellated and not the best ad for a video company.
    Pull up banners are cheap enough to enhance the stand and have plenty of fliers and showreels.
    Be prepared to chat, but also be wary of pouncing on clients as every other stand will be all over them like a cheap suit.
    Comfy shoes help with exhaustion and sweeties help tempt the weary visitors.
    Best of luck!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Thanks Zero,

I have been looking at the smaller, cheaper fayres and the cost of them did seem tempting. You have definatley helped make my mind up. If we were trying to comptete with the smaller 500 wedding video companies then it would make sense.

1k seems alot but I think we can pull it together by Jan (thats when the big one is - Liberty Stadium in Swansea). You gotta spend money to make it.

Your absoultley right about the big screens!! Epsecially as we have shot our wedding videos to date on SD. I was thinking of using a cathode ray / pre flat screen old school tv and cleverly placing P.O.S. stuff around the screen to hide the depth!!

Sweets are a cool idea too. And comfey shoes....you can tell you are a true pro!! I never leave home with out them!!

What about advertising? Do you adverstise in local press/regonal wedding magazines/ yellow pages? Have you had any return?

Thanks again,

Rod.

Hi Rod

When you do hold Wedding Expo's ?? Friday and Saturdays!! When do we shoot weddings??? Fridays and Saturdays!!!

I have never been able to attend one cos I'm working!!! Plus they cost a bomb!!

I just advertise with on-line wedding directories and find it works well. Be patient with jobs as very few brides will book 2 weeks before the event. Most of my bookings now are for this time next year!!!! However you will get a few stragglers to keep you going and I always make brides pay 1/3rd up front which does give you some income pretty much straight away!!

Chris

Hi,
    Funnily enough, UK wedding shows are Sat/Sun and Spring /Autumn, so in 12 years we have only had one wedding clash.
    Using a trained assistant at the wedding left a principal free to do the show.

Re, big screens. Don't use a big old CRT set, it'll seem dated.
    LCD screens at 32" are cheap as chips now and using an upscaling DVD player will really show off even SD quality really well.

Advertising? - A good website is a great start, but don't advertise in mags or local rags unless you get late slot cheapies.
    Their normal rates are barmy, but once on their list of enquiries and left until late you'll get a cracking deal. I've had half a page in a national mag for 120.
    The monthly mags tend to hang round hairdressers for months.

As a newbie, whatever it takes to get known is worth it, but your work will be your best ad, so polish it well as great showreels will get passed round.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    As a newbie, whatever it takes to get known is worth it, but your work will be your best ad, so polish it well as great showreels will get passed round.
    I can't stress that enough. From my limited wedding work over 4 years ago, I still get enquiries through referals. Imagine how those referals would have built over the years...

Hi all,

Thanks for all your sound advice. I wont use a CRT tv!! 1st Impressions are everything. Your sooo right Zero.

Funnily enough we had out first booking today for Feb (the sites only been up 2 and a half weeks!) and when I spoke to my partner the first thing I said is "we had better sort out our showreel.."!!

I know that it's gonna take time. I'm pretty patient!!

Now...I'm not sure if I should start a new post for this...Contracts!! Does anyone use them? I have a couple of standard ones and, as we also run a video production company, have Public Libialty insurance and (now have) wedding insurance. The one thing that I remember being told in Uni was "cover yourself" and "assumption is the mother of all &$% up's"!!

We have not used them with wedding videos before and have not had any problems. Whats your views on Contracts for wedding videos?
    Last edited by perfectmomentvideo; 09-03-2009 at 02:03 PM.

Yep, you need contracts for every production you do. + Professional indemnity insurance.
    The wedding contract should stipulate, like all contracts, what they get, what you do and how much.
    No good leaving a wedding at 9pm and they 'think' you're there all night.
    We stipulate booking fee, then the balance due 1 month before the wedding. Cancellation charges are also listed.
    Whichever contract you use, run it past your insurance company. They may wish to add provisos like ours did, re complaints procedures being raised within 28 days.

Thanks again for the sound advice. The one thing we have never done is get payment upfront (as of yet) but will be doing it after speaking to a local photographer and hearing how he got ripped off (and of course from you).

Rod.

Every wedding service provider gets full payment up front. In 12 years only one has questioned the policy.
    I guess if they haven't paid up front then after the wedding human nature takes over - skint = not paying because of some obscure missing 20 seconds of uncle jim.
    Don't laugh! I know producers who've been there.
    In the days of VHS, one guy I know used to travel (up to 20 miles) to clients to book. Then again for a discussion, then again to deliver the video. Leave it then wait for result, then again for alterations, by which time they'd taken a (poor) copy and refused to pay saying it was rubbish.
    Of course . . . he's now out of business.

Very rarely clients will ask if they can sit in on the edit= Yes, 45 ph.

Trust us, we have filmed 400 plus and we put together your day, in our style, and that's why you booked us.
    Be polite, but firm. They are booking your services on your terms.

They also have a choice. Billy no mates will do it for 300. Payment after the wedding = Please take it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast