Thread: Getting Started with Video Editing.

Default Getting Started with Video Editing.

Im not sure if there's a beginners/newbies section that im not seeing... so ill just post this here, lol.

I was just looking for some information on getting started with editing, and possibly turning it into a career (one step at a time obviously).

Im looking around the site at the free trial editing programs and was wondering which is the best to get myself off the ground.

Im not really into the whole film making kind of thing but the editing interests me alot. Im currently working in an admin/finance position and fancy a career change. To start off im hoping to take night classes, etc whenever is possible on a part time basis, for now.
    I've read about those 'runner' jobs but i walk with the aid of crutches so getting coffee for ppl and setting up sets isnt really something i can do to get me started. :p

Anyway back to my original question on which editing program would be easiest to get started with, if anyone had advice id greatly appreciate it.

Also, sorry if i posted this in the wrong place, lol.

Welcome to the forum! I would look at the sony vegas or premiere pro. Keep in mind the software you would be using as a profesional could be diffrent. The basics are the same just the way its done is diffrent. I would deffinately stay away from pinnacle though.. good luck
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Thanks for your suggestions Chapman, ive had a little look at some tutorials on youtube and Sony Vegas does look relatively easy to follow.

It is pretty easy to use, The most diffecult thing with any of the NLE's is that they all go abt things diffrently, The out come will be the same but getting there is a diffrent path.
    Wil

Software Used:

Just about to download the trial of SV when i realised... i dont actually have any footage on my computer to edit.
    Well i have some movies transferred from dvd onto it but they're going to be a little difficult to try this out on, wouldnt they?

Would it be advisable that i buy myself a cheapish camcorder (no more than 200-250 right now) or maybe a website i can try getting clips from to edit.

As you can probably tell im just throwing out random thoughts.

Again, thanks for any help.

I didnt know what to look for, and not exactly sure what free stock means... but it has the word free in it so it cant be bad, lol.

Thanks.

an example of stock footage would be like your nightly news. Say they were doing a story on boating they would buy footage of people boating to go with the story
    Wil

Software Used:

Adding to what Wil said, in many ways this will actually turn out cheaper than sending a crew out to film people boating.

Stock footage is very good for it's price, and large companies such as the BBC keep their own stock archives and this has grown over the years