Thread: Setting clip duration in Sony Vegas?

Default Setting clip duration in Sony Vegas?

In Adobe Premiere you can set a video clip duration but how do you do the same thing in Vegas? The properties dialogue box gives a lot of details but I can't find the clip length or where you can type in a value yourself. I've just been zooming into the timeline and counting the small lines on the top for every second and then hitting the S key to split the clip.

You can drag either the front or end of the clip in to the desired in/out points

You can open a clip in the trimmer and highlight the section you want and drop into the T/L or place cursor were you want the clip to start and press "A"

Blog Entries

I'm assuming you want to type in the length somewhere.
    Cheema's put you on the right path with the Trimmer.
    Open your clip in the trimmer.
    See the three times in the bottom right of the trimmer? They are, reading left to right, Timecode from the TAPE of the in point (or the cursor position), the out point (if a selection has been made), and the duration of the selection.
    You can double-click on any of these and type in a new value (although you can't go beyond the beginning/end of the clip)

What you want to do is set the cursor to where you want the clip to start, double-click the duration time, type in a time (eg 00:00:05:00 for 5 seconds). You now have a selection the length you require. Now press A to add to the timeline at the current cursor position.
    Tim

This is probably THE single most difficult lesson to pickup when coming from another NLE system - Clip length adjustment. In Vegas it is very fluid and really allows us to get to the "feel" of the Event on the timeline. However, if you DO need to enter duration lengths, and I can understand why, then Vegas allows you to do this too.

Say you have a clip that is 10 seconds long, and you only want 5 seconds of it. This might be because you only have a 5 second gap to fill, up there on the timeline - yes? OK, Right click on the Event and select open in Trimmer. In the bottom right hand corner of Trimmer there are 3 small "numerical" windows where you can tap in the exact Start, End and Length timecodes. For our purposes here, enter 5 seconds in the 3rd window, the Length window. What happens is you get a 5 second "Loop Region", bound each edge by vertical lines, two yellow flags pointing inwards and joined by a grey bar stretching over 5 seconds. And by default. this Loop is created at the start of the Event, but what you can NOW do is move that loop region OR set a Start Timeode and your loop region will move accordingly.

Now, holding down your left mouse Key drag the Loop Section up to the Timeline OR place your cursor WHERE you want the clip to be and click on the "Add Media From cursor" Icon, in Trimmer OR Press "A", and here is the fun part, if you already HAVE a 5 second gap, hit the "Fit To Fill" icon.

So, and here's the THING! Yes you can enter numbers and use the ways you have learnt elsewhere, no problem, BUT Vegas allows you/me/us to be more flexible and get on with that all important edit. I just scrub what I want in Trimmer - no numbers for me - and grab that portion, kicking n screaming to the timeline. Done.

Thanks to everyone for the help. It's just getting used to this new NLE and finding out how to do stuff. The trimmer is a new one to me and yes I have seen the three time values at the bottom right of that window, didn't know you could edit them directly. If I want to take a shaky start off or a shaky end off a clip, usually the first or last second then this is the place where I do it, in the Trimmer or as you say if you have a gap that is only so big you need to select 4 or 5 seconds from a clip and insert it.

you can also drag the cursor in the trimmer to highlight a section and then then drag that to the time line, or place the cursor in the Time line then press A the highlighted region will appear on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    If I want to take a shaky start off or a shaky end off a clip, usually the first or last second then this is the place where I do it, in the Trimmer or as you say if you have a gap that is only so big you need to select 4 or 5 seconds from a clip and insert it.
    - If THIS is the case then I just peel back the front "IN" and back "OUT" of the Event directly on the Timeline. Once on the Timeline, and for such a small adjustment, I would NOT use Trimmer.

AH! There is ANOTHER "tip" to use and this is for small adjusts for IN or OUT: ALT+Drag! Now THIS is great 'cos it gives you a SPLIT Preview Screen of what is actually happening to the IN and OUT in AT THE SAME TIME within the Preview. I use this a lot.

Vegas is about making our editing lives easier.
    Last edited by Grazie; 09-02-2009 at 07:26 AM.

One more - just to prove how flexible Vegas is. If the clip is already on the timeline, and you want an exact length (Say, 3 secs) Go to View, tick 'edit details'. Then choose 'selected events'. Just drag the end of the clip to the desired time length. I keep this window docked with the usual explorer, project media, etc so that I can quickly go to that tab if I need it.