Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 video cards

1. Default 2 video cards

Hi I have a new computer that was GIVEN me! I do a little video editing and I noticed it has 2 video cards installed, with only monitor and s video outlets on them, seeing I do editing is there an advantage of having these 2 cards? They are linked together with CROSSFIRE.
    Whats the adavantages and dis avantages of using these cards, just wondering wouldnt one good video editing card be better?
    Thanks
    Last edited by newfielander; 08-31-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: spelling error

crossfire is for gaming, it works by link teo identical cards together to get twice the graphics power. if you take out the crossfire link they should work as independent video cards and then you can have two monitors, always a plus with video editing.

3. Default

Can you explain to me smifis, why is it a good thing for vidoe editing?
    Thanks

well most people use one monitor for the timeline and the other for your output video. it's all down to personal preference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    well most people use one monitor for the timeline and the other for your output video. it's all down to personal preference.
    I think you'll find most serious editors use a TV type monitor (a reference monitor) for their preview as it gives truer colours (at least "truer" in terms of what the output will look like on a TV screen) and two PC monitors with the timeline spread across it. But however you use them, once you've used two monitors anything less feels unworkable.
    (Unless you're Marc P who does everything on a laptop)
    Tim

'(Unless you're Marc P who does everything on a laptop)'... and look at the amazing results he gets, makes you wonder doesn't it.

i edit on 2 monitors and then export to dvd and then watch it all the way through on the tv looking for flaws. this has never failed me yet

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    i edit on 2 monitors and then export to dvd and then watch it all the way through on the tv looking for flaws. this has never failed me yet
    (I think I'm going to regret asking this)
    Your point being?
    Tim

While on a pc, premiere pro will add safe margins and i edit and make titles according to that but every tv i try is always different. plus because i have 2 of the cheapest monitors i can buy, i see how the color is shown on the screen plus i have a comfy couch in the front room.

It is my opinion that it is best not to rely on what you see on the computer screen but what it looks like on different televisions as this is probably what most people will use.

Blog Entries

Very time consuming.

Usually the two computer screens are used so that you can edit with decent sized windows. Professionals will normally have a proper monitor to watch the video, not a computer screen. A common set up is to have the bins, sources, sound and grading windows on the left screen and the timeline, canvas and player windows on the right. Using a computer screen as a monitor is not usual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast