Thread: Field Order HDV to SD????

Default Field Order HDV to SD????

Hi Guys

I have a small hiccup!!
    My source files are 1440x1080i M2t video which of course has the interlacing at Upper Field first. When I render the clip to MPEG2 using the DVD PAL preset I get bad interlacing lines on the TV and I suspect it's because DV video is Lower Field first!!

Can I simply render the project to DVD PAL and change the field order in "Custom" to Upper Field first???? Or what settings do you use in order to make an SD DVD?????

Thanks

Chris

My sorce files are the same as yours. I use the DVDA WS PAL template - which is still lower field first - for DVD, and I don't get the problem you describe. You could always render a minutes worth as upper field first and try it. Or maybe progressive?

Edit: Once you get a template set up that works, don't forget to save it!

I've only started using Sony Vegas recently but I think I saw the choices of Upper Field, Lower Field and Progressive in some drop down menu in the output settings.

Hi Guys

Found a solution!! Since my poor little DuoCore cannot handle AVCHD files, I have been transcoding the source video from MTS to M2T in Upshift. I found the transcoder has an option where you can either leave the interlacing as is or de-interlace to progressive.

With the progressive footage in Vegas there are no field issues so you can simply render down to PAL DVD widescreen and it works fine!!!

Chris

Just googled 'upshift'. Yet another quality product from NewBlue it seems.
    Last edited by Archie; 09-01-2009 at 09:31 AM.

Hi Archie

It's actually distributed by VAAST and since they are pro-Vegas I figured it would work well. They have a trial download and the results are good!!!!

If you transcode to an HDV MPEG then make sure you use the hi-quality preset. If you want to use your own settings it's important to set the GOP to "1" so every frame has full data!!

I would say it gives a lot better result than transcoding to SD directly and it's not too slow either. I did 10GB of AVCHD clips in under an hour on my machine.

Chris

It's not something I need Chris. My source files are m2t straight from the cam. I use NewBlue FX 1 and 2 with Vegas, and hardly use the Vegas FX at all now. Very good company.