Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Idea's

Default Some Idea's

Hey everyone,

I'm in need of inspiration, i need to make an opening sequence and need some ideas.

I can't say opening sequences are my "forte".

I'll take all ideas on board and shall try and mix things up.

Blog Entries

C'mon smifis. Give us something to work with.

An opening sequence for what?
    Tim

Yeah sorry, kinda forgot that part didn't I...

It's for a school production i unfortunately volunteered to do for them.

It's some kids doing a "rock" performance. we have followed their progress over 3 days and have recorded their final performance to put on a dvd with a retail price of 3.99.

All of my opening sequences look so alike, so i just would like something unique.

I also have a question about copyright. I have always worked for someone else until recently when me and a mate started up a production company so i have never touched or though about copyright until now. is it true that once you create something, you automatically get copyright for the production or do you have to apply for it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    ..I also have a question about copyright. I have always worked for someone else until recently when me and a mate started up a production company so i have never touched or though about copyright until now. is it true that once you create something, you automatically get copyright for the production or do you have to apply for it?
    If you film something - yes, you own the copyright for that piece of video.

BUT - If you record something like a rock performance using other peoples songs - you have to pay. IF you're selling a DVD for say, 3.99 and it includes material created by someone else such as a song or collection of songs for instance, the writer of that song (or more accurately the rights holder) is entitled to a cut.

More advice HERE
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 08-28-2009 at 01:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    BUT - If you record something like a rock performance using other peoples songs - you have to pay.
    Just to expand a little if you use commercial music you will almost certainly have to pay. But these may well be the school band's own songs ...

What you actually need is the copyright holders' permission(s) to use the song. In the case of commercially available music and production music, obtaining that permission will normally incur a fee. (And will often be implicit rather than explicit where the film maker pays a blanket fee rather than naming specific material)

If the material is original, you may well be able to obtain the permission of the WRITERS and the PERFORMERS to (a) use the songs, (b) record and use this performance of the songs (c) produce a DVD and (d) sell the DVD for nothing except a credit - and they should almost certainly demand that a notice identifying the writers and performers is included in your credits.

People showing the DVD in public (eg at school) will also need the permission of the writers and performers though this may be covered already if the premisis has a PPL licence.

Just to be clear, if it's band's playing Oasis numbers, you'll need permission from Noel Gallagher's publishing company (or whoever wrote the material).

PS - Really useful link Andy.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 08-28-2009 at 05:01 PM.
    Tim

In that case that's a lot of work but it has to be done I'm afraid.

So any ideas for an opening sequence?

Spinal Tap - The Early Years?

erm...what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    erm...what?
    Smifis, you may be a mere sapling compared to some of us here, but surely even you have at least heard of "This is Spinal Tap" Perhaps not as groundbreaking as many give it credit for but certainly a masterpiece in "Mockumentary". Google it.

Then again, if Nikosony's idea was lost on you, I guess it would be lost on your audience (though maybe not their parents).
    Tim

TBH it is more for the parents than anything else.

and yes i am a mere sapling but hope to become more

I think i may do some sort of flythrough sequence, i'll post it up once i've finished it.

i would still love to get some more ideas though. Keep 'em com'in'!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast