Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Corel VideoStudio Pro X2, Dell Studio and AVCHD files!

1. Default Problem with Corel VideoStudio Pro X2, Dell Studio and AVCHD files!

I bought a video camera that records in AVCHD files in January and subsequently got Corel VideoStudio Pro X2 to edit the files with because of the ease of use that I had with the previous versions. The program worked to a degree on my old XP computer with 3GB RAM. I decided to buy a new computer to edit the files with in the hopes that it would work better (without the occasional stuttering that I had before). I went with a Dell Studio with 6GB RAM and a better processor and graphics card than the old computer. However the files do not edit AT ALL with this.

The problem I have is that I don't know if it is the files, the computer or the program which is causing the problem but it is incredibly frustrating. The AVCHD files themselves play fine on the computer with ImageMixer, the program provided with the camera when I bought it to upload them to the computer, but when trying to edit them with VideoStudio the computer comes to a near standstill.

Any suggestions that could help would be very much appreciated. I am unsure of whether the best option is to convert the AVCHD files to a better format that, whilst being bigger, will be less compressed and therefore easier to work with, or to use a different program. I have used a trial of Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0 which is more complicated than VideoStudio but seems to work better, but the rendered product does not run as smoothly as the rendered VideoStudio one. If possible I would rather stick with VideoStudio.

I know there's several problems here and help with any would be very much appreciated. Many thanks!

I haven't tried Video Studio from Corel, I've been using Sony Vegas Platinum 9 and Pro 9 aswell and they do a very good job. I had stuttering videos aswell on playback after rendering them but I went into the settings and set the data rate to 40MB per second, yes I know it's a crazy amount of data for a video file.

I rendered a 1 minute video to mp4, see my notes in another part of this same section and I ended up with a file that was nearly 360MB in size....! When I uploaded it to Youtube it took about 2 hours, evening upload so I guess it was much slower but it seemed to take Youtube less time to get it up and be able to play it back compared to SD files I had done earlier this year.

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/avchd-h...e-vimeo-3.html

Quote Originally Posted by simonwaldock View Post
    I bought a video camera that records in AVCHD files in January and subsequently got Corel VideoStudio Pro X2 to edit the files with because of the ease of use that I had with the previous versions. The program worked to a degree on my old XP computer with 3GB RAM. I decided to buy a new computer to edit the files with in the hopes that it would work better (without the occasional stuttering that I had before). I went with a Dell Studio with 6GB RAM and a better processor and graphics card than the old computer. However the files do not edit AT ALL with this.

The problem I have is that I don't know if it is the files, the computer or the program which is causing the problem but it is incredibly frustrating. The AVCHD files themselves play fine on the computer with ImageMixer, the program provided with the camera when I bought it to upload them to the computer, but when trying to edit them with VideoStudio the computer comes to a near standstill.

Any suggestions that could help would be very much appreciated. I am unsure of whether the best option is to convert the AVCHD files to a better format that, whilst being bigger, will be less compressed and therefore easier to work with, or to use a different program. I have used a trial of Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0 which is more complicated than VideoStudio but seems to work better, but the rendered product does not run as smoothly as the rendered VideoStudio one. If possible I would rather stick with VideoStudio.

I know there's several problems here and help with any would be very much appreciated. Many thanks!
    I have a core 2 duo 3GHz running XP and I set the smart proxy to 720x576 and that seems to work fine, the graphics card has no effect it's all processor speed with Corel ProX2,

4. Default

Sorry if this is something obvious, but how then do I set the smart proxy?

There are two ways to find it,

If you go to file and then down to preferences you will find a tab labeled smart proxy this is were you can select were you want the smart proxy files to go and the resolution.

Or just above the time line there is an icon just about in the center, on my program it is the 5th one from the right, left click on it you can toddle it off and on as well as change the settings.

good luck, let me know how it works,

Bryan

6. Default

That's a bit better, but still does not completely fix the problem. The audio plays fine but the video just runs too slow and cannot keep up.
    Last edited by simonwaldock; 08-29-2009 at 03:36 PM.

You might have to go to a smaller resolution proxy file a lot depends on your processor, something to remember if you are using proxies is that if you take a still image off the time line you need to select the clip so you get a high definition still.

I found if I did smart render it might been fast but it put glitches in occasionally, I now switch of smart render and leave it to chug away, much slower but the final render is usually better.

8. Default

I've tried all the smart proxies and there is no difference. I don't know whether it alters anything but I'm trying to run the program on Vista 64-bit.

why dont you get rid of the imagemixer program like i did and just import the clips straight into the Corel - it can be done as i have just done it and have Corel and a canon which came with the uselsess imagemixer program which didn't work either....

10. Default

and do the clips work better if you import them through VideoStudio instead of Image Mixer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast