Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot use panning and crop tool to make video small enough

Angry Cannot use panning and crop tool to make video small enough

Hi,
    I have a video of 2 people watching a tv that's off.
    I want to get another video so that it covers the tv so that it looks like the people are watching the tv. But when i use the panning/crop tool to make the video shrink, I can't make it shrink small enough to fit into the small tv. Vegas will not let me make the video any smaller in size.
    I am using Sony Vegas 8.

Is it possible to make the video any smaller? Even to something like 30x30 pixels? If so, how can I do it?

Thanks

Blog Entries

You're correct in using the pan & crop tool.

What you need to do is grab a corner of the frame (the dotted lines with an "F" inside) and drag to make it BIGGER.

This seems counter intuitive at first, but if you think about it, the dotted frame represents the full size of your screen. By making this bigger than the image, you are effectively making the image smaller.

You will then need to use track motion (on the track header) to move the image into the correct position.
    Tim

I make it bigger but I need to make it bigger than it will let me because it stops me from making it bigger after its, well... very large, and I just need to make the screen just a bit bigger for the film to be small enough to fit into the tiny screen.

Why not do it all with track motion? Put the clip that you want to overlay on the TV onto a track above, then use track motion to resize and position it. Track motion is the little arrow on a white box pointing at a grey square - left hand side of the video track.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zap805 View Post
    I make it bigger but I need to make it bigger than it will let me because it stops me from making it bigger after its, well... very large, and I just need to make the screen just a bit bigger for the film to be small enough to fit into the tiny screen.
    I see, so you hit the limit that P&C will allow (I've never done that so wasn't aware there was one - we learn something every day)
    In that case do as Archie suggests. There seems to be no limit here and, of course, you can edit it in 3D space so if your TV screen isn't square-on you can "tilt" the picture to match.
    Tim

Talking

Track motion worked. I had never even heard of track motion before!
    Thankyou both very much for your help!

7. Default

Yeah, big virtual beers on me!

Man, there IS so many ways to skin that cat!

I have a question though:

Does using the technique above add to file size?

Is it an economical way of doing things 'file-size-wise'?

Keep up the great work!

Miggy, how can it effect file size? Vegas (like all NLEs that I've ever heard of) Is non destructive. In other words, no matter what you do to a file within Vegas, it has no effect on the original file. What you produce is a copy of the original material, made to your own preferences. A bit like a cheap suit then.

I think our friend here is taking what is known about stills - making them a big format - and considering that this will also happen here.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Miggy, how can it effect file size?
    Sorry, bad question!

Perhaps what I should have asked was:

'Does the rendered file increase in size using the track motion technique above?'

Even though the layer is being 'reduced' in size, I assume that all of that layer's data is still intact and adding to the size of the rendered output.

Sorry if my lingo is a little off...Hope that doesn't confuse.

Cheers again for your help.

Miggy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast