Thread: a little newbie question.. Vegas Platinum 8

Default a little newbie question.. Vegas Platinum 8

hey guys, just joined the forums.
    and I have a few questions, I hope you guys can help me out here!

question number 1: how to make subclips?

I've been searching around the forums about making certain parts of a video freeze, and one of the solutions was to trim the clip and make it into a subclip in order to make the last frame freeze.

question number 2: adding effects

there's a lot of clips that I want to add the same effects to, but i have to do it individually. help!

thanks

Vegas Movie Studio doesn't have the luxury of velocity envelopes so you can only change the speed of a complete event!! The simplest way is to just cut the clip up into as many events as you want on the track and apply the velocity required to the event you want to use.
    If you want all the events to have the same velocity but in different places then just copy all the events from the video track and paste them onto the overlay track. you can then delete duplicates from either.

I cannot remember if movie studio has a snapshot function??? If so that's the easiest way to make a freeze frame!! Just take a snapshot and drop it into the video track and you have a perfect freeze!!

Chris

Blog Entries

To expand and confirm what Chris said:

Movie Studio versions of Vegas do NOT have the subclip function or velocity envelopes but you don't need either....because

Movie Studio Versions DO have the snapshot function.

I've always used the method Chris recommends (though the subclip method appeals) Here's a little more detail:

To take a snapshot, set you Preview to BEST | FULL and display the frame you want to freeze (You'll want to make a split in the video at this point as well as it is here you'll be inserting the still).
    Click the "floppy disk" icon immediately above the preview.
    Vegas will prompt you to save the snapshot as a JPEG - save it wherever you like.
    The snapshot will automatically be added to your project media.
    Drag it to wherever you and and stretch/shrink to the correct length.
    Tim

OK, I have to assume that these functions ARE available within VegasPlat8 - ok? They're in VegasPro9a, which I use, and if so, this is what I do:

1] Freeze last Frame and/or Subclips

Right click on Event and select Subclip. You get an option to name as well as save. You now have a Subclip. Now you can either add a velocity envelope and HOLD that last frame OR right click on Event and go to Properties for that subbie and uncheck "Loop". Go back to the Event and pull out the end of the Event. You will notice that the last frame remains frozen in time - it isn't looping any more. There is another way to add the last frame as a "hold" by taking an image of that last frame and plopping that back onto the timeline. I used to do this but now prefer doing one on the ways above.

2] Adding the same Fx to many Events.

This HAS been covered plenty of times here do a search.

uh-huh . . .

thanks guys, I'll try this out as soon as my vegas opens up

Edit:
    I wasn't able to find the thread on adding the same effect to multiple tracks. Do you guys happen to have the link to it?

thanks!
    Last edited by hollywoodnorth; 08-26-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
    I wasn't able to find the thread on adding the same effect to multiple tracks. Do you guys happen to have the link to it?
    (Neither was I)

At event level ....

If Event A has the effects you want to use on Event B (ie you want them both to have the same effect, copy Event A (right click& "copy") then right-click on Event B and select "Paste Event Attributes". Note that this will ADD the effects from Event A, so if you've already got anything on Event B those will ALSO be there.

But you can also add events at the track level.
    So, if you want to switch between (say) some scenes in Black & White and others in Colour, you MAY find it bettwer to place the clips that need the B&W effect on one track, then apply the effect to the track. this is useful if you might want to tweak an effect used in may events, but tweak them all the same.

And you can add effects at the MEDIA level.
    Right click an event ad select "Apply Media FX". In this case the effects are applied to any events that use parts of that particular media.
    This is very useful if you have one or two bits of footage which you want to use various bits of, but the colours don't match the rest of the footage you shot. Just apply the correction to the media and any events (clips) you take from it have that correction already applied.

And you can add FX at the output stage. Great if you want to put a final colour cast/desaturation of whatever to the whole film.

Bet you never knew there was so much in it!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    (Neither was I)
    Quite, and I was referring to the original question, which states:
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
    question number 2: adding effects

there's a lot of clips that I want to add the same effects to, but i have to do it individually.
    - Where is there a mention of "Tracks"? Huh? Or are you saying that Events are Tracks?

As to some previous answers to this, try this one, where there are plenty of contributions from "others"

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/sony-ve...vegas-7-a.html

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/sony-ve...cts-clips.html

sorry about that, I thought tracks were the same as clips.

sorry for the confusion!

No need to apologise, really.

But maybe this will help you - it does me:

1] We capture Media and it appears in the Project Media Window.

2] We place Media on a "Track" where it is regarded as an "Event" - and THAT becomes an event in time. You can also interrogate that Event and see what it's underlying Media characteristics are. But it is still an Event.

3] Tracks have Track Headers, and it is here where you can add Fxs too. But the Fx effects ALL that Track's Events. Get it?

Vegas, and all its variations owes a lot to the music biz where this type of reference is known. Think of "Music Tracks", and you wont go far wrong.