Thread: Software for capturing HQ video stills?

Question Software for capturing HQ video stills?

I've done a search on the forums and found nothing overly relevant. On google I've found a few options but wanted to see what people on here recommend?

I use sony vegas but when I use that to capture a still the image is really small. What I'm after is a full size, no loss in quality still from videos I've captured..can anyone recommend anything they have used with success and show examples?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by BDB; 08-25-2009 at 09:25 AM.

If you are only capturing from video then any still images will only be the size of the video. If your video is only 720 by 576 pixels then that's the size your still frame will be. If it is high definition video at 1920 by 1080 pixels, then that is the size of a frame captured from the video. If you want large photographs then it is not through using software but using a digital camera with 8 or 10 mega pixels.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BDB View Post
    I've done a search on the forums and found nothing overly relevant. On google I've found a few options but wanted to see what people on here recommend?

I use sony vegas but when I use that to capture a still the image is really small. What I'm after is a full size, no loss in quality still from videos I've captured..can anyone recommend anything they have used with success and show examples?

Thanks in advance
    If you're looking to just manually grab a few frame captures, the free edition of RaceRender will do it. Just add the video to the project, go to the desired frame, click on it in the list, and then click "Snapshot". It will give you a bitmap image in the full size and quality that it gets from the video codec.