Thread: Which software breaks DV into clips when transferring from camera?

Default Which software breaks DV into clips when transferring from camera?

Hi all.

I'm another know nothing newbie, asking which software, sorry. I have looked at the Wiki, Googled, etc and can't find the answer to my question so I'm asking those who know.

I have tried downloading 38 minutes of DV (Shoreham Air Show) from my Canon MV750i onto my PC with Firewire. No problems, except it ends up in one HUGE file. Isn't there a way to make the software break it up into seperate files at the points where the camera was paused?

I used Windows XP built in Video editor to import it first. It does break the vid up at the right places, at least logicly within the program, but the actual stored AVI is still one big 8mb file.

I tried the trial of Premiere CS4 and used OnLocation to download. Again, one big file without even 'logical' divisions.

I assume that there is either an option to set within the software to tell it to break up the incoming DV stream or I need to choose the right software or I'm barking up the wrong tree in expecting dozens of small AVI's. Which is it please?

Thanks in advance.

WinDV-123. It's freeware and does what you are looking to do, just make sure you have plenty of free hard disk space and that your hard disk is defragmented before you start the capture.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    WinDV-123. It's freeware and does what you are looking to do, just make sure you have plenty of free hard disk space and that your hard disk is defragmented before you start the capture.

A big thank you. A small, free and dead easy to use program. I now have 14 DV tapes transferred to HDD, 60+gb. This is a long term project to sort out!