Thread: need help how to render

Default need help how to render

I filmed a wedding for a family friend and edited it. Im no professional or anything he just didnt want to pay for a pro so he asked me to do it. I shot it with a reg $600 camcorder minidv thats a few years old. Im not sure what to render it as or anything. I did it as the default and its 9.2 gigs. I dont know if thats normal or what. But, any suggestions on what settings to use would be thankful

Blog Entries

What you render your film as depends entirely upon what you are going to do with it.
    I would certainly render as the same format as your source (sddv avi). This wioll be of the same quality as the original footage and is the version you should archive.

You should also use this version as the source material for whatever other formats you need (simply to save Vegas having to do all the work for effects/transitions/titles etc again).

If it's a DVD you're making - there's no choice. You HAVE to render as MPEG-2 (there are decisions to make along the way VBR/CBR etc etc) which all affect how large the file is going to be, but so long as the movie is less than about 90 mins it will fit on a single layer DVD using the default settings.

If it's for the web - well, the choice is seemingly endless. I just do a basic WMV at 720 25fps 3Mbs which gets me the YouTube will recompress to whatever settings it uses for its "HD" settings. But then anything I put up on YT is quite short and size isn't an issue.
    Tim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    If it's a DVD you're making - there's no choice. You HAVE to render as MPEG-2 (there are decisions to make along the way VBR/CBR etc etc) which all affect how large the file is going to be, but so long as the movie is less than about 90 mins it will fit on a single layer DVD using the default settings.
    Not entirely true. Ive managed to create burn AVI files to DVD. It depends on the program involved. Using DVDFlick, I managed to burn a 1024x768 AVI to DVD, so that to all appearance the files on the media where in DVD format.... i.e. VOBs.

Yep.... I didnt expect it to work, but transforming the original AVI to MPEG-2 degraded the original poor quality so much, that I had to get creative.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CamCoat View Post
    Not entirely true. Ive managed to create burn AVI files to DVD. It depends on the program involved. Using DVDFlick, I managed to burn a 1024x768 AVI to DVD, so that to all appearance the files on the media where in DVD format.... i.e. VOBs.
    OK. Maybe I was a bit wooly. The file that ends up on the DVD (that is a DVD video, capable of being played on a set top box) HAS to be encoded as MPEG-2.

It may be done by the authoring program rather than the NLE.

However, it is generally the case that people using Sony DVD Architect (or Architect Studio) use Vegas itself to create the MPEG-2 as there is more control doing it that way.

But, whatever software does it, I stand by my statement - you HAVE to render as MPEG-2 somewhere down the line.
    Tim