Thread: Audio out of Sync w/ SVS 9 Platinum

1. Default Audio out of Sync w/ SVS 9 Platinum

Hi,

Ive recently come across another problem, which is driving me beyond despair.

Whilst making some videos using multiple short clips, the voice/sound of these clips is gradually getting out of sync with the video picture.

THIS IS ONLY happening when rendered out to AVI with WMV 9 codec compression. Ive tried rendering the same project to MPEG-1, MPEG-2, realmedia and WMV. I dont have the same problem with those. Ive even tried to render portions of the project in the hope that its a problem with the individual clips. Its not. The individual clips use uncompressed AVI code and play audio insync with the video.

Ive tried to LOCK each item in place and buffer out parts of the timeline with muted soundbite (AVI) to try to get the audio to play in sync, but alas it hasnt work.

To give you an idea of how the end project turns out, the audio appears to quicken pace around 30secs, and seems to play at 1.5x the spd it should, hence by the end of the video, the audio is out of sync.

However, I have a music track on a seperate track which plays perfectly well against the video clips in the sequence they play in. It is just some incompatibility with the audio portion of the clips and rendering them to WMV9.

Does anyone know what this issue might be? Or how to solve it!

TIA.

Hi Tia

It seems strange that you are trying to render an AVI file using a WM9 codec??? It may be worthwhile to choose a different codec if you want to render out to AVI. The only time I use the WM9 codec is when I'm rendering to a WMV file and the sync is perfect. WM9 is a highly compressed codec and most that render out to AVI do it uncompressed cos they will be editing the footage again.

Chris

3. Default

Thx for the reply.

The use of WMV9 is a two-fold constraint:
    - to get the filesize down to manageable levels.
    - to use a codec that 99% of the population has already available. I would prefer to use divX or xvid, but alas its not the receivers preferred choice.

I'll try to see if I can change the codec though, by pushing them to change the codec used, otherwise I think that the problem is something to do with the bitrate that the end video product is produced at.

I tried to convert a good wmv version to avi and the converted final version didnt have any out-of-sync audio. So for my money its something to do with the codec/codec setup.

Leave the wmv to the very end and use avi uncompressed from capture to edit. When you are done then render out a wmv file where you can reduce the quality and therefore the file size.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    ...use avi uncompressed from capture to edit..
    I think you mean standard definition dv avi - ie what the camera records native - approx 13GB per hour. Uncompressed avi is massive. Sd-dv, contrary to popular belief IS compressed.
    Tim

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Leave the wmv to the very end and use avi uncompressed from capture to edit. When you are done then render out a wmv file where you can reduce the quality and therefore the file size.
    But thats not what I originally asked help for. To spare anymore confusion:

- I have a bunch of uncompressed AVIs that play in sync.
    - I add these to the timeline in SVS 9 Plat. The preview (even though its a low framerate setup) shows the audio/video to be virtually in-sync.
    - I render MPEG-1,2, .rm, .wmv and have no out-of-sync probs.
    - I render an AVI using WMV9 and its out of sync. (Ill have to try uncompressed, to make 100% sure its the codec)
    - However, what I want is an AVI with great compression and widely available codec.

The problem is solely creating AVIs. WMV are created fine. If I take an WMV file and convert it to AVI using a 3rd party tool, the AV is in-sync. But its taking an extra step which I want to avoid!

EDIT1: Additionally, another reason I use AVI is that I can change the resolution at will, as my source is always changing in resolution from 800x600 to 16:9 to 16:10....
    Last edited by CamCoat; 08-23-2009 at 04:14 PM.

7. Default

As a further test I have attempted additional renders using different codecs in an AVI container.... they all produce an out-of-sync AV end product.

Im suspecting now that its something to do with the bit-rate of end product being burned. Why....? Well its only a hunch, but the bit rate is the only visible difference between the end products created using other container types such as MPEG, WMV or .rm. The bitrate of the AVI is about 3x the value as the types. Why should this matter.... not sure. Anyone have any ideas?

Furthermore, on looking into the WMV9 settings, its on Two-pass CBR (whatever that is) and the bit-rate isnt configurable. Ive tried a few of the other WMV9 setttings and dont get video. So Im going to have a play some more.

However, anyone who knows more about this - I would trully appreciate any insight to help me figure this out. Im somewhat technically inclined, but not extensively in this field (AV editing)

One last thing, why this should start happening recently I have no idea. Im pretty sure I didnt have this problem with Pinnacle Studio 11 Ultimate and SVS 9 Plat. at least when I originally started using this about 8mths ago.