Thread: Sony HVR-A1E video cameras PROS/CONS

Default Sony HVR-A1E video cameras PROS/CONS

Thinking of getting a second hand Sony HVR-A1E.Its going for 600 is three years old.
    I have read good reviews about this camera but would value the opinion of the members of the fourm.

Thanks

Hi PorkyPara

The A1 is well proven but it all depends what you are shooting!! Just be aware that the A1 uses CMOS sensors so if you are planning to do stuff where you do fast action or bumpy rides, the "jello" effect can be annoying and images will skew on fast motion or fast pans. Some call it the rolling shutter effect..so a YouTube search to see the effect if you think it might be an issue..it's best to know beforehand. If you are filming fairly sedate stuff it won't be a problem but if you are taking it on a high speed bike ride then one of Sony's CCD cameras will be a better buy.

Otherwise it's an awesome little unit (a bit small for my liking but it packs an awful lot of features into a tiny package!!)

Chris

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEaDrS-yzIE

Hi thanks for the reply.

Found the video on youtube and posted it on here for other members who might not have watched it.

For the most part I will be filming boxing so do you think "jello" would be a problem.I will be using a tripod for most of the time so would this help to stop the jello efect?

Thanks for your time

I have always stayed with CCD chips in all my cameras. The jello effect mainly comes from vibration so as long as the tripod isn't bumped the effect won't happen!!

CMOS chips don't like fast panning either but I guess with boxing you wouldn't have too much of that so it should be OK

Chris