Thread: How can I get DVD footage into premiere CS4

1. Default How can I get DVD footage into premiere CS4

ive tried renaming it and it doesnt seem to play the whole thing, or there is no sound.
    I have tried using a ripper and although it plays fine in windows it doesnt play the picture in premiere. God im getting annoyed with this!

You need to convert the vob files to a format that Premiere understands. I used two utilities to do this, one is called QuickTime Alternative 1.8.1 and MPEGStreamClip 1.2. They are both freeware and you need to run and install QuickTime Alternative 1.8.1 first and then run and install MPEGStreamClip 1.2. Then open up MPEGStreamClip 1.2 and go to File->Open DVD and locate the vob files, load them into MPEGStreamClip 1.2 and then go to File again and you should see a list of file types on that dropdown menu.

In your case, you need to convert those MPG files to AVI first whichh is a format that most of all the editing programs accept. You can use Prism Video Converter which is also freeware to download and install.

Go to file menu and add the file you want to convert and you can add as many as you like at a time, then down there you have encoder options, and then from video conpression you choose which system you like (NTS, PAL etc), and then in sound compressor you take DV Audio.

Down there again you will see output format: there you specify which format you want to convert to such as WMV, MPG, AVi etc. then you will have to choose AVI in your case and specify where you want it to be saved and then clit convert. After the file is converted you can then inport it to Adobe Premier or any other editting program and begin to work on it.
    Good Luck

I find this easy to do in Ppro CS4. Make sure you patch it up to 4.1. It then supports VOB files so just copy them from your Disk to hard drive and import them as you would any normal asset.

Having said that, I;ve not done this in anger, just tried importingsome VOB files to see if it works and it does seem to on all Ilve tried till now.

You have to use a patch on CS4 to import VOB files?, my God when will Adobe get its act together and stop acting like Microsoft. A patch for this, an upgrade for that, it's getting beyond a joke at present.

They've always been like it.

thats what the extra zero's are for on adobe software.

if you ever look at adobe history you can see you've got thing like premire pro version 3.5.8 etc. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    You have to use a patch on CS4 to import VOB files?, my God when will Adobe get its act together and stop acting like Microsoft. A patch for this, an upgrade for that, it's getting beyond a joke at present.
    Adobe's view is that it's not a patch as such but a free point release offering new features. If you have a RED camera then the 4.1 release is a godsend probably. Smilarly if you want to edit VOB files it's probably to be considered a good download too under the circumstances

Getting DVD footage into CS4 could be obtained by downloading the codecs which is free on the net (ffdshow-rev3055_20090816) and installing it. After you have installed the codecs most of the editing programs will be able to import DVD footage not only CS4

Default using a mac?

Is this freeware compatible with a mac as i am using one ?

regards

james