Thread: Can I rotate a video in Vegas 9 to make it straight?

1. Default Can I rotate a video in Vegas 9 to make it straight?

Hi, I'm new to Sony Vegas and i've been messing around for the past couple days trying to get familiar with it and figure stuff out. I need to make a video that was filmed at a crooked angle straight without cropping it. I tried rotating it with in the pan/crop window, but when i play the clip, the video spins. I want to rotate it to make it straight and keep it like that. Is it possible?
    Thanks
    Becca

Quote Originally Posted by montanadolphin View Post
    I want to rotate it to make it straight and keep it like that. Is it possible?
    You are doing the correct method within Pan Crop. But . . ..

Quote Originally Posted by montanadolphin View Post
    I need to make a video that was filmed at a crooked angle straight without cropping it.
    Well no. If you are having to straighten it up AND you are beyond the original Frame, then cropping is the only option IF you do not want to show the original, now tilted edges. You could possibly place the rotated video on a background "plate" and Bezier mask the footage. My thoughts are you are gonna need to crop - sorry . . . As to the spinning, sounds like you have got too many rotations in place.

Wanna show us the original Frame?

Lesson learnt here: Video as best you can - that includes horiz and verts! And yes I have done it and still do . . not so much nowadays and I always have enough boundary for any correction. If not, I have to live with it.

Two ways of straightening it. 1. With the track motion tool 2. with the pan/crop tool. Track motion apparently retains better resolution, but as Grazie sez, you will need to crop in a little to hide the edges after straightening. So use crop/pan. The reason that your video is spinning is probably because you've added key frames without realising. EVERY time you change size etc, a keyframe is added automatically.

Open pan/crop, delete any keyframes that are there. Now position the cursor at the very beginning of the clip. (You can use the button on the bottom to do that, or just drag it.) Now just float the move tool over the corner of the box until it changes to the rotate tool. When you've straightened it, float the tool over the corner again until it changes to a double headed arrow. Now just drag inwards until you lose the edges of the clip that are showing after straightening.

If you can't work out how to delete the keyframes, just delete the clip from the timeline, then reintroduce it, and start again. Pan/crop always opens with the cursor at the beginning of the clip. Just leave it there, don't move it!

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Track motion apparently retains better resolution,
    Nope . . .

Big difference 'cos. :

1] Pan/Crop maintains resolution of your media while zooming in.

2] Track Motion resets resolution to match project settings and THEN zooms in.

What are you thinking of Archie?

5. Default

I figured it out...I don't know HOW I did it...i just kept trying the same thing over and over...and finally, it stopped spinning. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Nope . . .

Big difference 'cos. :

1] Pan/Crop maintains resolution of your media while zooming in.

2] Track Motion resets resolution to match project settings and THEN zooms in.

What are you thinking of Archie?
    Duuhh! That's the second time recently I've got things a*se about face. But I did say "apparently".
    Glad you got your problem sorted Becca. Keep experimenting with Vegas - you'll love it. There are LOADS of tutorials on youtube to get your creative juices flowing.