Thread: Time Lapse Best Practice

Default Time Lapse Best Practice

I'm using Vegas Platinum to create a time lapse video that has about 4500 stills in it. My question is this, should I just use the stills as an event in my project, or should I render all the stills into a full size video and use that in my project? I'm just wondering if there is any disadvantage to using the stills, maybe Vegas has to reload or keep track of all those files every time you edit, as opposed to keeping track to just the one video file. Which would be the more efficient of the two options? Thanks for your help,

Dale.

Neat question . . . hmmmm....

A] Keep a copy of the original stills - somewhere safe.

B] As to having a video file of your stills, you can import/open as a still image sequence. This gets ALL the stills into a sequence that you can place on the Timeline. You can stretch it to make it play longer. You can treat much the same as any piece of "footage".

Maybe I didn't phrase my question the right way. I definitely keep the original stills backed up. And, I already have the images imported into Vegas as a sequence. But what I was wondering, should I then export the sequenced images out as a video, and use that as the event in Vegas to do all my editing. Or should I just keep the sequenced stills as my event. I'm wondering about the "overhead" of Vegas keeping track of all those stills. This might be one of those questions that nobody will know until someone has actually done it. I'll try it and see if I can discern any difference in the performance of Vegas.

So, you HAVE introduced them as an "image sequence". O . . K . . .

And back to your original question of best practice. Well, and as you say:

Quote Originally Posted by destes View Post
    This might be one of those questions that nobody will know until someone has actually done it. I'll try it and see if I can discern any difference in the performance of Vegas.
    Because it will be different for different folks and the mass of stuff being accessed and the different formats and resolutions and tracks and so on and so forth.

However, I have to ask, why would you NOT just go ahead and simply use the imported sequence as a Video, and be done?

If you need to reference back to one or many of the stills you have the stills backup to do so? And that was first response.

Make life easy would be my advise. Keeping it simple and straightforward is always a good premise to go with. We can always make - editing/life - more complex!

Vegas is great at this stuff. If it wasn't, you would not even have the option to be asking the question in the first place.