Thread: - which Video Filetype has the 'best quality'?

Default - which Video Filetype has the 'best quality'?

Different video formats produce different qualities when produced. Which video filetype provide the best quality ? (eg, flv, mp4) ?

is this filetype im asking for, the same one to use for HD videos?
    Last edited by Entry; 08-17-2009 at 06:46 PM.

You can't really ask which has the best quality, because it would obviousy be a lossless one, thouh the filesize would be huge. Though, I guess you're asking which has the best qulity at a certain size....

Many MP4 based codecs are good (XviD, DivX) and MP4 is a good choice in itself.

You can't really go wrong with those, so long as you choose the correct bitrate.

The file format you render to is largely depoendent on the target media. If you want to output to DVD then it HAS to be mpeg2 - but within the render settings you can make changes which will affect the quality but the trade off is the higher the quality the less footage will fit on the DVD.

COnversely you wouldn't put mpeg2 on a webpage - you'd use something like flv.

HD is really just a resolution - you can output to most formats in whatever reolution you want.

Ian

4. Default

Qualitywise I find that Im struggling to balance the output against the filesize. So for me, it comes down to using AVI at the native resolution the source video was captured in and the compression I need to use to get the file down to a manageable size.

For this I usually use the smaller 16:9 resolution I possibly can to capture the video and then use WMV9 to get a decent compression ratio to limit the filesize of the end product.

Otherwise you can get some massive files being created.

Let's keep it simple guys?

A] You edit in the BEST file format for editing. For me it is AVI and the AVI that Sony captures my footage in.

B] You deliver in the BEST file format for delivery. For me that is MPEG2 and AC-3 for DVDs; DivX for clients approvals over the INTERNET; Flash for WEB delivery and an MP4 for my cell-phone.

C] You archive in the BEST file format for archiving. For me that is the PAL-DV through SONY, and at a "pinch" an existing MPEG2 on a DVD.

Everything else is sucking air.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post

B] You deliver in the BEST file format for delivery. For me that is MPEG2 and AC-3 for DVDs; DivX for clients approvals over the INTERNET; Flash for WEB delivery and an MP4 for my cell-phone.
    Interesting thread. I am sort of battling through soem of these issues right now.

Grazie, how does one convert say an .avi file to DivX? I assume it can't be done in Vegas.

I have been producing video content that is being played via an intranet set up. That is, the video is being displayed on a webpage. File size is no problem.
    How should I render my content? .avi?

Anyway, great thread. Gotta keep learning...

Quote Originally Posted by miggy sanchez View Post
    Grazie, how does one convert say an .avi file to DivX? I assume it can't be done in Vegas.
    - You'd think -huh? - Well no. I tried and tried this but I couldn't make the DivX CODEC play ball. So I "bought" into DivX and do it externally to Vegas - no biggie. DivX has a neato DivX Converter tool. Dead easy.

Quote Originally Posted by miggy sanchez View Post
    I have been producing video content that is being played via an intranet set up. That is, the video is being displayed on a webpage. File size is no problem. How should I render my content? .avi?
    Again, this ALL depends on the usage and purpose for sharing - is it for further editing by the recipients? - OR is simply for viewing? In which case what players do the recipients have? Mostly Windoze Media player will catch most things. Easy really, keep it simple. Try a Media Player template in Vegas. Try the 3mbs rate.

8. Default

So I "bought" into DivX and do it externally to Vegas - no biggie. DivX has a neato DivX Converter tool. Dead easy.
    Thanks for the lead...Div X eh? 'Bought' is a little cryptic...guessing I got fork out cash, or...

Again, this ALL depends on the usage and purpose for sharing - is it for further editing by the recipients? - OR is simply for viewing? Easy really, keep it simple. Try a Media Player template in Vegas. Try the 3mbs rate.
    the purpose is just for watching. Yes, media player template! How stupid am I?

Well, I was thrown off by our a/v tech guys here, who were like .mpeg2 is the file we need. However, the content is being pumped out using 'the internet', which I assume means 'windows' as a default?

Anyway, cheers again.