Thread: HD Video Workflow Tipps?

Default HD Video Workflow Tipps?

Ive been browsing quite a few forums but havent quite founds what I like. Just signed up here today and am really new to video making and editing.

I'm looking for some tipps and hints on a good workflow for editing HD videos.
    Camera: Canon EOS 5Dmkii -> 1080p H.264 .mov files
    Hardware: Macbook Pro 4GB 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Software: Premiere Pro, After Effects, Final Cut Express, MPEG Streamclip

So from what I have been reading is that I will probably have to convert my files that the camera is giving me into a format that is easier to work with before I pull them into the editor. I'm thinking of either Apple Intermediate Codec or Pro Res 422. AIC doubles the filesize and ProRes files are about 4-5x bigger than original but might be easyer to work with?

Also I'm still never really sure what kind of timeline/sequence setting I should be using in Premiere Pro. I aquired Final Cut Express because I figuered for basic editing it would be enough and wouldnt put as much of a strain on the computer as running Premiere Pro.

Thanks for your time,
    Lucas

Download a 30 day trial version of Sony Vegas Platinum 9.0b if there is a mac version. It might be a lot easier to use than doing a whole lot of converting. I downloaded it a few days ago and it opens and plays back m2ts files no problem albeit on a windows pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Download a 30 day trial version of Sony Vegas Platinum 9.0b if there is a mac version. It might be a lot easier to use than doing a whole lot of converting. I downloaded it a few days ago and it opens and plays back m2ts files no problem albeit on a windows pc.
    im not really having to many problems opening, viewing or editing the files just wondering about anything to make increase working speed or such. i think ive got enough editing programms for the moment^^