Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: poor quality resolution slideshow

Red face poor quality resolution slideshow

I'm using Vegas Studio 8 to make a travelogue slideshow with voice and sound track using images processed in Photoshop. The resolution of the images after Photoshop is good. The images on the rendered DVD iare very poor (grainy, lacking sharpness). I'm using Vegas to make .avi clips for each place I visited, then loading all the clips into another Vegas project to render to DVD. What am I doing wrong?

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=BobS;120336 What am I doing wrong?[/QUOTE]
    My guess - you're putting high resolution images into Vegas. Contrary to what you might expect, it doesn't like them.

Bear in mind DVD video is only 720 x 576 (PAL) or 720 x 486 (NTSC) (though these aren't square pixels so you can't use these dimensions in photoshop. I go for the same number of pixels height & calculate the width depending on whether widescreen or 4:3. If I want to pan & crop ("Ken Burns" effect) I'll use double that resolution, but never more.

Try it with lower resolution - won't take long and no harm done if it doesn't help.
    Tim

Tim. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    My guess - you're putting high resolution images into Vegas. Contrary to what you might expect, it doesn't like them.

Bear in mind DVD video is only 720 x 576 (PAL) or 720 x 486 (NTSC) (though these aren't square pixels so you can't use these dimensions in photoshop. I go for the same number of pixels height & calculate the width depending on whether widescreen or 4:3. If I want to pan & crop ("Ken Burns" effect) I'll use double that resolution, but never more.

Try it with lower resolution - won't take long and no harm done if it doesn't help.
    OK. I reduced the size of the images to 1440X1152 (or thereabouts) and rendered chapters of the slide show as MPEG-1 files. I then loaded all the MPEGs into a Vegas file and rendered the whole as a DVD. The image quality is certainly better and the total render time much shorter. But ... track motion (Ken Burns Effect) is jerky and on some TVs, there is rippling on the edges of images that have lots of vertical and horizontal lines (eg architectural shots). I'd give the outcome 7 out of 10 compared with the quality I get when rendering video shot with a mini-DV.

Blog Entries

I don't quite understand why you're rendering as MPEG-1 as DVDs take MPEG2s (maybe it was a typo).
    The "rippling" effect you describe sounds like it might be to do with interlacing. This is only normally a problem if you zoom (eg crop) into interlaced footage (as the fields no longer line up). I'm not sure why this shuld happen with stills. There's a setting reduce "interlace flicker" that might help. Right click on an event, under "switch" you'll find it.

Sorry I'm failing to give you any definitive answers. These are just things that might be worth trying.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I don't quite understand why you're rendering as MPEG-1 as DVDs take MPEG2s (maybe it was a typo).
    The "rippling" effect you describe sounds like it might be to do with interlacing. This is only normally a problem if you zoom (eg crop) into interlaced footage (as the fields no longer line up). I'm not sure why this shuld happen with stills. There's a setting reduce "interlace flicker" that might help. Right click on an event, under "switch" you'll find it.

Sorry I'm failing to give you any definitive answers. These are just things that might be worth trying.
    Tim. Thank you. I've now rendered this thing as MPEG2 (it wasn't a typo above) and in PAL DV format. Track motion problem has been fixed but, what I believe to be interlace flicker is horrendous ... lots of shimmer and rippling on motion. Not too sure where to find "interlace flicker" which you say can be found under "switch". Very keen to try anything

BobS

Hi Bob

Any footage that is cropped in Vegas needs to also be de-interlaced so in your project properties you need to select Blend Fields or Interpolate and not leave it as "none"
    With normal footage interlaced footage is never a problem but when you start to pan and crop you get a problem.

Read the link below

What is deinterlacing? The best method to deinterlace movies

Also remember that your stills need to have the correct aspect ratio to avoid being distorted. As we are in PAL land ...stills in 4:3 are not 720x576 due to the pixel aspect ratio but actually 787x576 and widescreen stills need to be 1048x 576. Bigger is better if you are cropping BUT make sure the pics still have a 1.365 aspect ratio for 4:3 and 1.819 for 16:9

Chris

Chris! Great reply. This should be essential reading prior anybody picking up a camera or openning Vegas . . . .

Yes. Chris' advice was very helpful. I'm currently plucking up the courage to discard the 240 images in the project and start again; size the images to "PAL DV size", render each segment (chapter) of the project as MPEG2 in PAL format, before pulling them all into a single project with PAL DV format. I'm going to use the 'interpolation' option for interlacing.

Hi Bob

I may not have read your post correctly but are you rendering a batch of photos and then puttting all the MPEG2 files together and rendering again????

If you are doing this then your quality will go downhill fast!!!! MPEG2 files are compressed with a GOP setting (Group of Pictures) so if the GOP is preset to say 5, all the frame info is held in frame one and the next 4 frames are just "clones" Unless the file is rendered with a GOP of 1 (info held in every frame) you will lose more PQ than normal!!

What is far better IF you have to render twice is render the set as DV-AVI files as either uncompressed or lossless video like Lagarith.

However it shouldn't be necessary to render twice??? If you are putting this on a DVD then just render each batch and then assemble them in your DVD Authoring software

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast