Thread: Clip reversing problem

Default Clip reversing problem

Iīve got a rather annoying problem while reversing, and as far as I've searched, it hasnīt been covered yet. First, let me tell you I am using Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 on an Acer Aspire 5315 with 1 GB of RAM and a 965 Chipset graphic card. Not top of the line, but they should get me by nicely and they usually do.
    The problem is as follows: every time I reverse a clip, either by using a velocity envelop or simply the Reverse function, when played, the clip 'blinks' two or three times during it's length. It just fades out and in very quickly, like blinking... I hope I am explaining it right. It happens in preview mode and after rendering too, no matter what clip I am using. Anyone experienced this before?

Thanks

Blog Entries

What do you see in the preview if you step through the reversed clip one frame at a time?

A shot in the dark, but maybe setting the event to "Force Resample" (in the event's properties, or via "Switch") might help?
    Tim

If I step one frame at a time, where the flickering occurs, there's a black frame.... and force resample didn't work, but thank you for the reply.

Blog Entries

What is the source type?
    Does the black frame occur at the same place in the original clip, or the clip on the timeline (if you see what i mean - if you trim the clip does the error move with the trim or does the error occur on the same ORIGINAL frame). I'm just trying to establish whether it's something about the clip Vegas doesn't like or something about the, I don't know, timeline maybe?
    Tim

The error occurs any time I reverse a clip, no matter what type of clip it is. And it only appears when reversed, if the clip is played normally, then there's no flickering / blinking etc. I tried cutting out the black frame, and it just... moved xD I mean, if I cut out one, then it just appears in another place in the clip. Apparently there's always three 'blinkings'...

My thoughts are that with 1 gb RAM, you are really asking much of your PC with Vegas. The reversal, or any CPU hungry function, Vegas is dependant on just what it is getting to thrash about in. Take a look at your Preview setup and see how much you are setting aside for Preview. At what quality are you Previewing? Also try rendering out a small portion of the Reversed media. How does that look? Any blinking?

If you meant the dynamic RAM preview, it's 350 MB... if I render a smaller part of the reversed media, the blinking stays. I can't seem to actually get rid of it. I tried cutting out the clip out of the original video and reversing and rendering it by itself, not in the entire project, but it will still blink, and it happens to any other clip I try to reverse, be it in a whole project or just the clip alone.

Do a test for me?

Reduce the Preview RAM to something like 16mb and see what happens. At present you are giving Vegas 1/3 of your total available RAM. I'm hoping that releasing RAM will assist your PC to do what it has to. Render up a small piece of reverse and report back.

I've got 2gb of fast RAM. Vegas tells me NOT to exceed the available 1gb.

We could also be seeing some framerate issue that is ONLY rearing its head on reverse. What is the format of the media? Framerate? Interlace or Progressive?

Tried reducing the preview RAM, I can't even tell if it's blinking because the preview lags like hell like this. And taking it one frame at a time is just as bad.
    The format is mpeg, also happened to avi-s... framerate, 29.970fps, and I think I've seen that it's Interlace at some point, I don't know where to check, I'm afraid. I'm still new to Vegas and video editors in general...
    It might be that I'm asking too much from my PC :( Altough I was hoping the problem is another. At least the solution would be free, not an upgrade to my laptop xD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arthmael View Post
    Tried reducing the preview RAM, I can't even tell if it's blinking because the preview lags like hell like this.
    I think Grazie means reduce the preview RAM asn see what happens when you render.

If that solves it Ģ25 will get you 2x1GB from Crucial.
    Tim