Thread: Unable to import anymore video files (mp4) into Vegas

Default Unable to import anymore video files (mp4) into Vegas

Edit: I'm using Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9.0

My cousin and I have been trying to make a movie this summer, and we filmed some footage, using a Sony Webbie (cheap HD camcorder) which uses mp4 files. I get the mp4 files into the computer using a memory stick PRO duo, and it gets into the computer okay. But after importing many (maybe about 70) little clips of video (mp4) into Vegas and editing them, I can't import anymore files into it. I have more mp4 files that are already on the computer that I need to import into Vegas. Every time I try to import another video into Vegas, another video clip fails (it'll say "An error occurred opening the media file...What do you want to do? - Specify a replacement file - Ignore error and leave media offline - Ignore this and all subsequent media errors").

I've tried re-installing Vegas and getting rid of unnecessary programs on my computer to save space (in an attempt to get more videos into Vegas). All has failed. Does anyone have an idea of what the problem might be?
    Last edited by PeanutbutterPopcornPie; 08-16-2009 at 02:29 AM.

Blog Entries

No suggestions but is this all one project?

What happens if you import clips you've already successully imported into a new project?
    What happens if you create a new project and import the troublesome clips?

We need to establish whether the problem is with this one project or with the clips.
    Tim

Yes, this is all one project. When we import successful clips into a new project they work just fine. And same with the troublesome clips. They all import just fine too in a new project. We can import 30-50 small 5-10 second clips just fine, but when we get up to like 80, then we encounter that problem. The same thing happened with the new project. So does Vegas have a limit? Thanks for your help.

Blog Entries

Hi PPP, (I refuse to type your name out in it's entirety even if typing this is much longer )

There is no theoretical limit to the number of clips (events) you can have on the timeline in Vegas (inc Movie Studio), though a quick browse has told me there was known issue in VMS 6 with HDV which was resolved - so that's ulikely to be the case here).

It seems you've done all the sensible tests (the only other one I can think of is to create a project with 80 or so clips of a different format - say dv avi and see if you get the problem, but it would be unreasonable to expect you to do this.

Are you running version 9.0b? If not I recommend you update to that (it's a free download) and try again.

Apart from that, unless anyone else responds, I think you should take this up with Sony Creative Software. Pop along to their website and log a support ticket. They WILL get back to you though it my take a couple of days.

Good luck and please keep us all informed of the progress.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 08-16-2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: speelung
    Tim

Hey, thanks for the nickname, and for helping us.

Ok, so there is no limit on the timeline, but what about in the media bin? Every time we import some new footage it makes another clip go offline.

Yeah, we have tried to transfer a couple of our video files to .avi. The quality greatly decreased when doing so though. And since we have well over 200 clips, it would probably be like you said unreasonable.

Yes, we are running version 9.0b.

Thanks for your help, I will try to contact Sony Vegas. Thank you.