Thread: Transferring video - USB v DV- question

Default Transferring video - USB v DV- question

I understand that for best quality for transferring video footage to a PC is via a DV (firewire) connection.

However the only SD Camcorders in my price range are the tape formats that offer this facility.

Will I get loss of quality by purchasing a HDD recording format Camcorder and using a USB 2.0 connection as opposed to using firewire and so having to go for the tape recording format?

I am in no way a serious movie maker and am just starting out editing the family holiday movies etc, so I was hoping to opt for the HDD versions for ease of use.

I am currently using PowerDirector v7 Ultra and also wondered if this had any dfficulties capturing video from the Sony HDD range i.e DCR-SR 37/57/77 models?

Many thanks in advance to you gurus!!

Ruts

Quote Originally Posted by rutjosnabet View Post
    I understand that for best quality for transferring video footage to a PC is via a DV (fire-wire) connection.

However the only SD Camcorders in my price range are the tape formats that offer this facility.

Will I get loss of quality by purchasing a HDD recording format Camcorder and using a USB 2.0 connection as opposed to using fire-wire and so having to go for the tape recording format?

I am in no way a serious movie maker and am just starting out editing the family holiday movies etc, so I was hoping to opt for the HDD versions for ease of use.

I am currently using PowerDirector v7 Ultra and also wondered if this had any difficulties capturing video from the Sony HDD range i.e DCR-SR 37/57/77 models?

Many thanks in advance to you gurus!!

Ruts
    I would forget about using outdated tape Camcorders, also - I personally would also forget about Camcorders using hard drives, mainly because if you need to video any longer than 5 minutes without a tripod they can be quite tiresome on the wrist, just try holding a hard drive and experience it for your self - oh the agony! <sigh> I learnt the hard way..

Most NEW and up to date Camcorders without a hard drive are light and easy on the wrist and now can record with on board memory or supplied memory card up to an hour or more, and because memory cards are very cheap, a single recording session with an after market larger capacity memory card, can extend a single clip up to the point, Err~ that's if no Aux power is available, that is restricted by the Camcorders batteries usable service, So no matter what Camcorder you use and or have, you only may have around two hours of usable service before some interruption anyway..

BTW - The Camcorder I use, can record just under three hours in a single session, clip and or scene, before I need to change my memory card to record another "2Hours:54Min:34second" of high definition video @t 720p.

BTW I personally wouldn't bother with a Standard Definition Camcorder, and here's why..

**note**
    That U-Tube re-encodes videos, and therefore much of the crispness of my videos on U-Tube have been lost, but as you can see are still better than standard definition and or 576p..

YouTube - KorAllRBare's Channel

All of my High Definition videos were taken with a Camcorder that cost just under $300 which was around Half the cost of a reasonable standard definition Camcorder that were available when I purchased my HD Camcorder.

Cheers and good luck..

Many thanks for the reply Laid, cleared it up for me.

After perusing this forum for a few weeks my "take" is that it is mainly geared for those semi-serious to just under professional users who want a one-stop facility for information on a huge variety of technical issues etc, which is a great thing......however there are a number of us out there at the other end of the scale who have very limited budgets for hardware and software, and whose remit are holiday snaps slideshows and piecing together the fractured clips of the annual jaunt to Disneyland - so I appreciate the time answering for my level.

Due to the budget contraints and what I really need a camcorder for I have opted for the cheapey HDD Sony SR-37 at 250. I am guessing that you are US as over here HD camcorders don't really start until about 500 upwards (at least from what I have seen on the net) which works out at $835 approx, buts thats the cost of living in rip-off Britain. I have managed to get some footage on the PC and now spending the time to learn Sony Vegas software as it is rather more technical than Power Director 7 Ultra (which I will still use to bang out those quick chunky slide shows!)

Maybe if my expertise/ambition outstrips my current camcorder I will look to invest in the future and upgrade, but at the moment I have loads to be going on with!

Quote Originally Posted by rutjosnabet View Post
    Many thanks for the reply Laid, cleared it up for me.

After perusing this forum for a few weeks my "take" is that it is mainly geared for those semi-serious to just under professional users who want a one-stop facility for information on a huge variety of technical issues etc, which is a great thing......however there are a number of us out there at the other end of the scale who have very limited budgets for hardware and software, and whose remit are holiday snaps slide-shows and piecing together the fractured clips of the annual jaunt to Disneyland - so I appreciate the time answering for my level.

Due to the budget constraints and what I really need a camcorder for I have opted for the cheapey HDD Sony SR-37 at 250. I am guessing that you are US as over here HD camcorders don't really start until about 500 upwards (at least from what I have seen on the net) which works out at $835 approx, buts that's the cost of living in rip-off Britain. I have managed to get some footage on the PC and now spending the time to learn Sony Vegas software as it is rather more technical than Power Director 7 Ultra (which I will still use to bang out those quick chunky slide shows!)

Maybe if my expertise/ambition outstrips my current camcorder I will look to invest in the future and upgrade, but at the moment I have loads to be going on with!
    Your welcome Rutjosnabet,

Hmm, I am sorry to hear that HD camcorders over in England are still at a premium price, as I was under the impression here in Australia, we were way behind compared to elsewhere, this is because High Definition TVs and an average sized large screen TV that's over 55" have only been available for around three or four years now, making a Standard Definition Camcorder totally inadequate for home videos..

BTW - Nice choice with your camcorder..

Good luck and cheers Rutjosabet,

Peter J Schoen..

USB & Fire wire are just methods to transfer digital date and so no quality loss is involved, unless there are data errors in the transfer.

When copy old VHS which is analogue then there are issues of quality in copying due to the signal degradation.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    USB & Fire wire are just methods to transfer digital date and so no quality loss is involved, unless there are data errors in the transfer.

Indeed, I Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post

When one copies old VHS which is analogue then there are issues of quality in copying due to the signal degradation.
    And yes I agree with that too, as most VHS formats may have been recorded at a resolution anything from 320X240 up to 720X567..

For More Information read the following links:

Camcorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Video Cassette Recording - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Videocassette recorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Videotape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers to all,

Pete.