Thread: HD capture and editing options?

Default HD capture and editing options?

Hi all,

My first post on here - have read quite a few posts but basically after some information and thought I'd ask for some expertise.

I've just taken some HD film on MiniDV on a Sony Camcorder.

I bought Pinnacle Studio 12 for editing - thinking that the graphics card on my laptop was good enough (it is an integrated one and it says max graphics memory 384MB but min 8MB and I get the popup in Pinnacle that says that my card is not good enough).

My house mate has a desktop with a 256MB graphics card which would meet the min requirements for Pinnacle for HD editing but she doesn't have a firewire card.

My options?

1) buy a firewire card for her desktop (but is 256MB graphics ultimately going to be good enough?)

2) Could I get someone else to do the video capture off the camcorder - onto a portable Hard Drive or as a DVD? so I can do the editing on her desktop

3) What about other software for HD editing which will run on my laptop? Or am I going to find that the integrated graphics card is never going be able to deal with this.

4) Buy a decent laptop of desktop for the job....

Thanks,
    Chris

Try and install it onto your ohuse mates desktop and see if you can load the program. if it works fine then you can either buy a firewire card, they're not expensive - Nisis 3 port PCI Firewire Card: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo (first result in google), or you can capture on you laptop and then transfer it over. it's probably easyer to go down to your local pc shop and buy a firewire card. you don't normally need to do anything except plug it into a free slot.

you can buy a decent desktop that will edit hdv for about 250.

I've already loaded Pinnacle onto my house mates desktop, just as I've loaded it onto my laptop.

The issue is capturing and editing specifically in HD - as it wants a more powerful graphics card than my laptop has - which is why I can't capture on my laptop and then move over to house mates PC... - unless someone tells me there is software out there that will capture HD video when using an underpower graphics card?

Decent desktop for editing HD for 250? - where?

Thanks,
    Chris

Pinnacle is the only program I have come across that needs a graphics card, I went to the trouble of fitting one to my computer just to fined the program would crash at any opportunity, so now use Corel ProX2, it works fine with on-board graphics.
    Bryan