Thread: HDD vibration issue

Default HDD vibration issue

First off - hello everyone. Im really new to the whole videoing/editing lark so please bare with me.

Last year i bought a Sony HDD SR32 camcorder just for personal use. Recently with my interest in everything automotive i have started to make some video shorts of what my friends and i get upto.

I started to think about making some proper videos. I bought myself a Camera mount for the car and set off with a friend to shot some video.

The Problem:

Mounted the camera mount and camera to the rear window, hit the record button and off we went. We recorded the first 10 to 15 seconds and then the camera went off.

I then learnt that due to vibration the HDD thinks its going for a fall and braces itself for impact and shuts itstelf off - this is obviously ruining the footage im trying to take.

The Questions:

1. Should i cut my losses and sell my camera to buy a MiniDV camcorder?

or

2. Does buying a memory card for the camera solve the issue or will iend up with the same problem??

Sorry if this is a real n00b question - i look forward to hearing your responses

Thanks

Patrick

Blog Entries

In theory, an SD card camera wouldn't have the same problem. Putting an SD card in your camera may not, as I assume the camera doesn't differentiate between SD recording and the internal HDD. With SD cards dirt cheap, it's a matter of suck it and see really.

I've never had this problem with my Panasonic which uses SD cards (no internal HDD). However, why not consider getting a stand alone bullet cam? They're built for the job.

Thanks for the quick reply

Well what kind of quality are we talking Marc - with the Bullet cam i mean?

I see the MiniDV Sony Camera's arent that dear second hand on ebay so if i sold my HDD one i think i could easily get a MiniDV and not be even out of pocket.

I suppose if i could get my hands on a memory card id be able to check if the problem cud be solved. Although someone on another forum said they had tried the same thing and it didnt work for them :(

Blog Entries

I can imagine it wouldn't work (re: using the SD card on an HDD cam). However, in my opinon, using a second hand miniDV isn't the perfect solution. You can pick up a bullet cam for the same price, which are designed for what you need. They also come in HD flavours, and can be easily mounted outside of a car without getting side-swiped.

Yeah only problem is i invested in a Hague camera mount which wasnt the cheapest one to buy - and it is excellent i have to say. So thats why im not feeling the bullet cam idea.

I read elsewhere on the forum that people would choose MiniDV over HDD anyday due to the difference in quality of video?

Blog Entries

That depends on your definition of a HDD camera and the miniDV camera your comparing against. It's too much of a generalisation to say that.

ok well im talking in and around the 300 quid mark - at the moment i really havent got the money to spend on something alot better.

For arguments sake lets say the Sony products of in around 300 pounds.

Blog Entries

Then taking everything into account, a second hand miniDV camera would be the sensible option.

Marc i really appreciate the help - kudos awarded!!

The compression applied to the video files on a HDD (hard disk drive) camcorder is much more severe than on a Mini DV camcorder. They are different types, i.e., dv-avi for the mini dv camcorder and mpeg of some description on the hdd camcorder.