Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making a moving map

1. Question making a moving map

i'd like to make an animated movie of a route i've taken on a motorcycle, something like in LONG WAY ROUND but i have no idea what software to use in order to do it.

basically take a map and then draw a route on it in red or something but have it animated as the route progresses. follow?

not even sure if this is the right place to ask.

can anyone get me started? i'm open to any suggestions and thanks in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by liquidmonkey View Post
    i'd like to make an animated movie of a route i've taken on a motorcycle, something like in LONG WAY ROUND but i have no idea what software to use in order to do it.

basically take a map and then draw a route on it in red or something but have it animated as the route progresses. follow?

not even sure if this is the right place to ask.

can anyone get me started? i'm open to any suggestions and thanks in advance!!
    What s/w you got? Either way, do it basically like this...

Take picture of map. make it the bottom layer of a comp
    Make second layer (on top) an image of the line/route you want top appear.
    Apply garbage matt to the second layer and animate it's position over time to reveal the route.

Easy.

3. Default

i can buy any software that is needed to do this task, just don't know what to get :(

is adobe AE the way to go?
    win7 Ultimate 64bit /// 2 x 24" LG Monitors /// Intel Core i7 920 with Xigmatek HDT-S1283 /// ASUS P6T WS PRO /// 12gigs of OCZ Gold XTC Triple Channel 6x2gig DDR3 1333MHz PC12800 /// XFX Nvidia GTX 260 core 216 /// Corsair TX750W /// Cooler Master 690 /// HDD Total = 4.5 TB

After Effects is certainly the way to go. That or Adobe Flash, but id strongly recommend AE.

5. Default

AE it is then
    can anyone point me to any tutorials on what i want to do? i have been finding it very hard to get information on how to do this :(
    win7 Ultimate 64bit /// 2 x 24" LG Monitors /// Intel Core i7 920 with Xigmatek HDT-S1283 /// ASUS P6T WS PRO /// 12gigs of OCZ Gold XTC Triple Channel 6x2gig DDR3 1333MHz PC12800 /// XFX Nvidia GTX 260 core 216 /// Corsair TX750W /// Cooler Master 690 /// HDD Total = 4.5 TB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by liquidmonkey View Post
    AE it is then
    can anyone point me to any tutorials on what i want to do? i have been finding it very hard to get information on how to do this :(
    Buying AE for that is somewhat akin to buying MS Word to write a note to the milkman.
    Tim

Rather than buying it, if it is only for a one off project download a 30 day trial of it. I'm sure you could do the same thing with a wipe (horizontal or vertical depending on what way the line is going) in a cheaper package such as Adobe Premiere Elements 7.

8. Default

this will be much more than a one off project for sure as i'd like to do this with all future adventure trips i take so 'buying' is a good investment

now if i can only find a tutorial on it.....but someone mentioned a 'wipe' which sounds like a good starting point

I've done things like this in Windows Movie Maker.
    The wipe transition effect should be able to do a very similar thing to what you're thinking of doing in After Effects.

Before spending mass amounts of money on AE, I'd see if you like what you can achieve with Movie Maker. It should be free with Windows. If you're on mac, try iMovie.

How is it possible to achieve this in windows movie maker?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast