Thread: Splitting a very large raw (dv) video file...

1. Default Splitting a very large raw (dv) video file...

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of transferring a load of VHS videos onto my mac hard drive through a Sony VX2100E camcorder. The biggest problem I have found so far is that if I leave the video running after the pictures have stopped then I end up with a load of blank footage at the end of the import. The other day I managed to forget all about it and ended up with a 3.5 hour video where the last 2 hours were blank! I have been trying to find a way to trim off the blank video at the end without having to do any exporting. I figured there must be a way to just cut the end off a video file at a set place but have so far been unable to find a reasonable solution. Any ideas?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Most software will have a scene detection option. If you turn this on, it should spot the difference and create an additional clip (which will be blank). However, to trim after the event is easy and can be done in many freeware, shareware, trial and paid for applications. My recommendation would be to download a trial version of Adobe Elememts or Sony Vegas. These have a failry intuative way of dropping video onto a timelime, cutting (or some may say editing) and then exporting. You may also get into the editing bug. If you decide to go down that route, and you're not sure of how to use the software, there are plenty of experts here to help you out.

3. Default

Hi Marc,

Thanks for replying (and so very fast)! I am already into video editing and have Final Cut Studio on my mac but if I use something like this to edit and then export it will take ages. Also I have the problem of a full hard drive thanks to the 40 odd gb video file so can't export another file! Is there no program that will just "cut" the end off the video file cleanly so that I can just remove half of it without copying or exporting or the like...?

Cheers

Blog Entries

As long as you export in DV AVI, it should be quicker than real time. However, why not give this a try: Free video editor, free movie editor, AVI editor / AVI Trimmer

Edit: sorry, not mac software

"I am already into video editing and have Final Cut Studio on my mac."

6. Default Thanks for all the replies

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies about this and apologies for being AWOL for a few days! I gave exporting from FCP a try to see how quick it was and it took about an hour for an uncompressed 1h30m video, which was less than ideal. I decided it might be a better idea with my future imports to use the limit file size to 2gb option so that i could just delete any blank bits as they would be separate files. This, however, has posed it's own problems as it turns out the files aren't stand-alone videos as I hoped but are all linked and only accessible through one of the files (e.g. I will get files like test-1-av, test-2-av etc each of which is 'not a valid video file' but accessible through a file called test-av which plays them all as one video). Does anyone know if it is possible to make FCP import these videos as 2gb stand-alone videos?

Thanks again.

Default How Do I Edit and Export DV Without Re-encoding?

I'm working on a similar project, capturing VHS tapes with a Canopus ADVC110, into Final Cut Express. Editing is definitely required. Sometimes I'll capture a blue screen with the VCR's display of the word "Play" at the beginning. Sometimes I'll get blank frames at the end. Sometimes I'll do more than one capture, and put the best pieces together. Sometimes I'll adjust tracking on the VCR and start the capture all over.

I've been exporting to DV Stream, thinking it does not re-encode frames, because it really doesn't need to. On Apple's Final Cut Express discussion forum, my question about whether to check a box when exporting to DV Stream lead to "You should not be exporting to DV Stream" because it re-encodes every frame:
    DV Stream Export Settings, Locked or Unlocked Audio
    Apple - Support - Discussions - DV Stream Export Settings, Locked or ...

I got started creating raw DV files when I was using iMovie 6.0.4.'s Full Quality export setting. The people on this Apple forum have evaded my question about whether it would be helpful for me to go back to iMovie, it seems to me. Their answers are not clear about whether iMovie's Full Quality export was re-encoding. (I think, I hope, it was not. Anyone know for sure?) I did have a problem using iMovie because it would start a new clip at one hour, and I'd have to fix that in the editing. Final Cut Express allows longer captures, and I don't mind the exporting time.

Please see Project C, which describes my project capturing VHS tapes, here:
    Could Recompression Contribute to Pixelation Farther Down the Path?
    Apple - Support - Discussions - Could Recompression Contribute to ...

I'm thinking of switching to Live Capture Plus to capture as raw DV Stream. But I need a tool that will allow me to do as much editing as I want (all straight cuts), and export without re-encoding.

Default I Do Not Use Windows Movie Maker

For the life of me, I don't know why it says "Windows Movie Maker" underneath my user name. I entered Final Cut Express in my profile, but that didn't change it. I hope it is gone by the time you read this.

This will change when you have done a few more posts. It's your forum status.