Thread: Editing RED 4k footage in PP 2, PP CS3 and PP CS4

Default Editing RED 4k footage in PP 2, PP CS3 and PP CS4

Okay, so I'm in for a really daunting task. Me and some friends are going to make this short film and the crazy photographer has managed to get his hands on all sorts of stuff, including a RED ONE camera. So we're going to shoot the film in raw RED ONE, 4k.

So then I've been given the task to edit the film. The thing is that I've never dealt with RED footage, HD footage or 4k resolution. So this is all new to me. On top of that, my computer probably isn't as mighty as it should be for editing 4k footage. I'm sitting on my laptop right now so I can't check my exact specs on my stationary computer but I can give you an idea and add the exact specs later. It's basically a Windows Vista(32 bit), quad core 4 gb ram, 2.4 ghz processor with a Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT graphics card.

I know Adobe Premiere CS4 has special RED plugins, but my computer doesn't even meet the minimum requirements for that plugin. I don't know much about CS4 though, I've heard that it's supposed to be very heavy on your computer unless you've got a very powerfull one.

I haven't used CS3 and I don't know much about it.

Premiere Pro 2 I'm quite used too. But I've never edited this kind of footage on it.

So I'd be very grateful if you had any suggestions on which Adobe Premiere version would fit my computer and the video format that I will be editing.

Also, if you have any experiences with editing 4k RED footage, I'd love to hear your thoughts and tips on editing such a heavy format.

You've pretty much answered this question yourself. You're shooting in RED RAW format right? CS4 is the only version of Premiere Pro that will supports it. The decision on what s/w stops there surely. Your next issue is h/w. Don't know the minimum specs offhand but from what you're saying a new PC is a prerequisite to continue your project.

Damnit. Well the minimum requirements for the RED plugin on CS4 is like 8 gb RAM, 3.0 Ghz Quad Core, 64 bit Vista. It's insane.

Do you know if there are other formats that the RED ONE can shoot that would be compatible to a lesser PC like mine? Or maybe I should consider an entirely different editing software? Final Cut or Avid maybe?

I mean, do I have any other options except upgrading my computer or renting an editing studio?

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Beat; 08-10-2009 at 11:17 PM.

it probably wouldn't cost too much to upgrade your processor and ram. in the rage of 200 in total.

TBH i think your best option would be to either (a) hire an editor who already has the equipment or (b) hire out an edit suite.

see if you can get some sample raw 4k footage from a red one camera and see how your machine copes and if you think you will be able to do it on your machine or not.

That's a good idea. I'll see if I can get my hands on some raw red footage.

Btw, I talked to a friend of a friend about my problem and he said that a friend of his had similar problems when they were going to edit red footage. Everything went extremely slow when they were editing at 4k(I believe). But according to this guy(who is not familiar with the red btw) the red footage they'd shot was divided into 3 formats/resolutions. 4k, 2k and another resolution that was lower than 2k. So when editing they just replaced the source files with the lower res formats and then when they were ready to export, they replaced the source files with the 4k or 2k, he didn't say what res they exported in. So the footage was exactly the same, only there were 3 files for each clip, each of them having different resolutions.

Do you guys know anything about this?
    Last edited by Beat; 08-17-2009 at 04:01 AM.

Ive heard about this.

From what i read, when the red camera records it also creat proxy files but there i see a problem. after you've edited with the low quality proxy files how would you change the sequence settings to 4k after editing the proxyfiles?

Well isn't it just possible to swap the source clips with the higher res files and then create a 4k sequence and just copy & paste the timeline from the first sequence into the 4k sequence?

Or maybe I'm completely lost right now?

I'm hoping redrelay.net can launch soon so I can download some r3d files and test them. I'd like to try out some red footage in Sony Vegas Pro 9. Seems like a good editing software for 4k footage. CS4 seems a bit too heavy for my computer and the new red plugins have insane system requirements.

that might work....have you found any red footage yet? if you have you could try it and see how it goes.