Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guy here, Questions about starting a business.

Default New Guy here, Questions about starting a business.

Skip to Bold If you want to cut the crap

Hi, firstly id like to say what a great forum this is, ive been lurking and gathering info from this site for over a month and its really helped alot. I finally decided to join today

Anyway, im hoping to start a Video Recording business, i like the flexibility it has, and its a hobby for me so id also like to make a bitta cah whilst i enjoy my self.

My Experience : I have an A Level in Media Studies, used Pro Cams and Camcorders, cant remember the model, but im pretty sure it was one of these bad boys -
    dabs.com - Canon XL2 (9551A006AA)

Anyway, my task in my course was to create a film trailer, i got a B, and my work looked quite cool, made a whole campaign, 1 trailer, and 3 still image posters. I got a B in the end, i recon the write up let me down a bit ...

I used iMovie on a Mac to edit, and some of it was done on Final Cut Pro. Stills were made in Photoshop.

Anyway enough rambling ... I hope to start a one man Video Recording business for small events e.g. weddings/ wedding receptions, what equiptent would i need ?

I have a decent tripod, and im sure i can buy a adapter if the cams fitting is different to the tripod, i have a few DV tapes lying around.

Im just looking for a camera at the moment, by budget, 750GBP, i dont want a handheld, i want something like this -
    dabs.com - Canon XL2 (9551A006AA)

maybe not with all those top end specs, but somthing that looks impressive, and wont be a put of to the client, so he doesnt think, 'Dam, im paying this guy 300GBP, and hes using something that looks like 200GBP'.

So what would you reccomend ? Like i said, budgets 750, i recon, if needs be i could strech it a tad bit.

Apprecaiate any responses, and an help.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by gtisingh; 08-10-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Typos

I'd suggest you have a good read through these forums to get a better understanding of what's involved in filming weddings.

You may also want to consider filming firend's/relative's weddings first before you commit to spending a lot of money. Maybe hire a camera first - try Hireacamera.com | camera rent | rent a camera | camera rental | camcorder rental | rent camera

750 will get you noithing like an XL2 and an XL2 is probably not the ideal camera for weddings. I would suggest you up your budget to about 1k and try and find a used Sony FX1 or similar. But if you are planning on doing this properly then expect to spend many hundreds more on audio equipment, backup camera etc.

Ian

PS - Are you sure you editied for typos???

Quote Originally Posted by up_north View Post
    I'd suggest you have a good read through these forums to get a better understanding of what's involved in filming weddings.

You may also want to consider filming firend's/relative's weddings first before you commit to spending a lot of money. Maybe hire a camera first - try Hireacamera.com | camera rent | rent a camera | camera rental | camcorder rental | rent camera

750 will get you noithing like an XL2 and an XL2 is probably not the ideal camera for weddings. I would suggest you up your budget to about 1k and try and find a used Sony FX1 or similar. But if you are planning on doing this properly then expect to spend many hundreds more on audio equipment, backup camera etc.

Ian

PS - Are you sure you editied for typos???
    Ok cool, ive done a few evets already, a charity evet, and ive been a 2nd Camera man at a wedding before, so i think i know the basics, and the different steps.
    Ill look into the FX1, i really dont wanna spend more than 900 max, i already have a Schnizwhatever it is ... mic, hooked up to a minidisk recorder availible to me when ever, so i can voice over some parts with no probs.

Im not looking to get a back up cam to start with, that will set me back twice the amount i want to spend. Maybe later on when i have made enough in the first couple of years.

The SOny VX1000 and VX2000, have caught my eye are they any good ? The Beeb used them for broadcasts, so that looks ad sounds good.

Typos, bah ... i was never good at grammar, scraped through with a C in my GCSE's
    Edit : Plus im using handwriting recognition, and that has the mental capability of a 5 year old ...

Yeah - the VX range is a good option - but I'm fairly usre the earliest VX1000 will be almost 14 years old now. There's a very nice VX2100 on everyon'e favourite auction site at the moment - right in your price range. Bear in mind that it isn't native 16:9 so shooting in that format will sacrifice some detail.

Ian

Ive taken a look at the vx2100, one hell of a beauutiful camera !
    I was wondering Up North, weather i should invest in a HDR HC1 - Sony ? They look pretty sleek with a shotgun style mic and a lens hood !

Like so -

Ive seen a nice on for 460 on ebay, i recon i can haggle it down to 425GBP, Only thing is its CMOS based, not to fussed though.

Could you recc a nice shotgun style mic for me for under 40GBP ?
    and also a nice hood under 20GBP ?
    ... and a Wide angle lens Under 30GBP ?

ebay will do, but i dont know whats good and whats not.

Hi

The one thing you will have to do is make sure that your camera is genuine 16:9 format. Most couples will have an HDTV already and probably only a DVD player and not a BluRay player.

I got away with a 4:3 camera last season but I have gone the HD route purely to get the 16:9 format more than anything else. I can see that people will be slow here on getting HD players so my weddings will still end up as SD DVD's

It took a lot of courage to ditch the tape format and move to AVCHD but it's a good move. I'm shooting on Panasonic HMC72's and then transcoding the files down to DV-AVI to avoid having to spend a fortune on a new computer!!

A shotgun mic is not really a priority for weddings. You will do any essential audio with wireless lav's and for general ambience audio a simple on-cam mic is plenty. I would also forget a wide angle lens for weddings!! Not really necessary in your gear unless you are doing skateboard videos with extreme angles!!!!

Rather concentrate on getting two reliable 16:9 cameras and you won't go wrong!!

Chris

Hi Softweigh
    The HDR HC1 has 4:3 and 16:9 mode, ill be happy if its not genuine and its just cut the bits of the top, im not too bothered for now. I will upgrade once ive made about 1 or 2 grand in events.

My PC should be able to handle the RAW format, at 13GB a minute, i have x2 1TB HDDs
    Ill obviously compress it when ive finished.

Like i said, im really looking for somethin that will make the camera look impressive, Lens hood, SHotgun Mic, as the HC1 looks puny with out it.

WITHOUT -
    WITH -

also funds are severly limited, so i really dont want to jump in and ay for 2 cams, id rather make money on a few events, then when i can afford it, buy a back up.
    Last edited by gtisingh; 08-11-2009 at 01:35 PM.

Hi

I can appreciate the funds issue..been there and done that many times. Unfortunately camera "respect" is a serious issue and if you turn up with a palmcorder you won't get the job...arrive with a 20 year old shoulder-mount cam and they will think you are a pro!!!

I actually did a full wedding season with 2 shoulder-mount Panasonic MD10000's ..shot in 4:3 and every client was delighted!!!! For the price they actually give an excellent picture! and to the client they look expensive!!!

I was sad to see them go actually when I upgraded to HD !!!

I would also take a careful look at your market!!! Where I am I have NEVER been asked for a project on BluRay !! I shoot in HD but the end product is still SD so I don't have issues with buying new computers to edit HD formats (I simply transcode down to DV-AVI and edit and produce DVD's!!! )
    Just make sure you use a camera and gear that suits your market and is a viable investment for the amount of money your will make!!!

If you want to go with the Sony then a good idea is to mount it on a shoulder rig and it will look very pro!!! Google an Indian Company called "Cine City" and look at their cheap range!!!

Chris

I totally understand what youre saying, but i dont feel the need to have a shoulder rig for the small events i plan to film, maybe when i have a bit more capital, ill look for the shoulder rigs, the VX1000, and VX2000 caught my eye, they are pretty big, and look Pro !

As for the video formats, ill be willing to shoot in HD no matter what, then compress the video (shrink its size mb wise), then burn to a CD or DVD.

I have an old VHS shoulder rig, up in the loft ... not worth taking down due to it recording to VHS ?

I was also wondering ... totally different subject ... back in the day, before DVDs and CDs ... how did they used to put text on a vhs ? Ive seen old wedding videos, with text and after effects :| ... not that i plan on using the VHS rec.

Hi

I don't think I would like to watch VHS 3rd generation video on a 54"plasma!!!

Just for interest titles were added with a titling generator that would sync with the video and allow you to overlay basic text. I also used to generate still titles on my computer and (because it has a composite video output) send it to the VCR. The Amiga computers in the UK were very popular for graphics as they had an add-on genlock unit that allowed you to sync with live video!!

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast