Thread: More confused than ever

Default More confused than ever

I'm in the process of replacing my Sony mini dv camcoredr. Initially i fancied the canon HG10 but after looking at them in Currys i want something a little smaller. Someone suggested the Canon HF200.... it ticks all the boxes for me but i wasnt impressed with the quality of footage i looked at on vimeo.... bit pissed about that really because the camera looks brill !!!

The Panasonic's in my price range (550'ish) the build quality looks crap

I looked at a Sony HDR- CX 105 which handled really nice, the price was OK but i want something that uses SD cards.... the Sonys dont !

so,

Price > up to 550 or there abouts
    Memory > SD card not Hard drive
    Decent quality video
    Not bothered about stills function

Any ideas ?
    Last edited by enc; 08-09-2009 at 06:28 PM.

I haven't looked at HD video on Vimeo, it was another site, should have bookmarked it but the quality of video on it from a Canon HF200 was very impressive. It may have just been the settings on Vimeo that made it look bad. I'll have a scoot around to see if I can find that site again and post the address on here. All of the reviews have been very favourable for the Canon HF200 apart from the joystick on the lcd screen, not a big fan of it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    I haven't looked at HD video on Vimeo, it was another site, should have bookmarked it but the quality of video on it from a Canon HF200 was very impressive. It may have just been the settings on Vimeo that made it look bad. I'll have a scoot around to see if I can find that site again and post the address on here. .
    Dya manage to find it ?

Blog Entries

How many other samples did you watch on Vimeo. I watched a few, and to be honest they all looked pretty much like any other HD video on Vimeo to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    How many other samples did you watch on Vimeo. I watched a few, and to be honest they all looked pretty much like any other HD video on Vimeo to me.

I had pretty much made my mind up to go for the HF200 then i stumbled across this on you tube (from around 1.10)...

and as i already have a Panasonic TZ7, is it worth spending 500'ish on an HF200 when you compare the results here * this is an HF100 but apparantly picture quality is pretty much the same as the HF200....

yes the canon will be much better in many respects BUT, is it really 500 better ?

Last edited by enc; 08-15-2009 at 08:10 PM.

having said that, this aint too shabby ....

see what i mean .... confused

Blog Entries

I had no sound, but in the first video it seemed that the white balance was merely set up differently. In the second, the canon was zoomed in a lot more. No really a fair comparison.