Thread: Need help recoving corrupted AVI files

1. Default Need help recoving corrupted AVI files

I know this may not be exactly on topic but I am hoping that someone here has had experience with this.

I accidentally deleted a bunch of AVI files from an external hard drive. I can restore them with an undelete utility but the files are unreadable in Windows Media Player 11 or Quicktime 5. I was hoping there was some kind of utility for repairing corrupted AVIs.

I have tried a couple DivX repair utlities already and they cannot open the files. I also tried a trial of a video converted program with no luck.

I would be willng to email a sample files to someone if you think you might have something that will work and then if it works buy it myself or pay someone to do the conversions for me.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Try this and let me know how you get on, lets start free first as free is always good. Maybe if it doesn't work and its so important, there are paid for tools.

Lets start here first....

Download DivXRepair 1.0.1 - Repairs corrupt avi files and eliminates freezes - Softpedia

Here's a paid for one $50; first try it free if it does what you want then buy it.

Digital Media Recovery Software, Digital Media Data Recovery Software

If your prepared to pay alittle bit more

Partition Recovery Software - Windows Data Recovery for lost partition

Please bare in mind this is NOT A GUARANTEE!!!!!!!! of been able to recover the file.
    Last edited by zandebar; 08-08-2009 at 05:55 PM.

3. Default Tried two of those already

I tried the first 2 already and they both failed to laod the AVI file. I tried with several different restored files. My fear is that there is some ciritcal header information in the files that did not get restored properly and no program will be able to fix them. If so I may be sleeping on the couch a long time!!

I will take a look at your third suggestion and if there is a trial I will give it a short.

Thanks and I am still open to other suggestions.
    Last edited by triskal; 08-09-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: typos