Thread: Editing AVCHD

Default Editing AVCHD

I got a new camera and it films in AVCHD format. It doesnt seem to be recognized in Adobe Premiere CS3, But it does Adobe Premiere CS4 but comes up choppy. All I wanna do is edit it like a normal mpeg file but cant seem to find a converter for it. Any solutions? Thanks

Try Free AVCHD Converter v1.0.

Koyote Soft

Hi

If it's a Panasonic camera them MainConcept have a free transcoder that gives awesome results to DVCPRO and SD. I use it all the time but it will only work on Panasonic AVCHD cards!!

Otherwise the Koyote one works well!!!

Chris

Haven't tried the koyote one myself yet but if it works and it's free you're off to a good start.

I tried out the Free AVCHD Converter v1.0 and it works to a certain degree. It will convert the mts/m2ts files but there is no way to change the audio settings so the audio sounds weird. It reminds me of that old b&w B movie from the 1950's, you know the one with the giant killer ants. You heard a certain sound before the ants appeared, well that's the sound I'm getting. You don't think they are coming to get me?

6. Default

Hi,

It's always a tough task when it comes to edit AVCHD footage which is recorded using the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 compression codec, the same now used with most Blu-ray Disc content.

But there are some tools which will make it much easier.

FFmpeg - a solution to record / convert / stream audio and video.
    iSkysoft video converter - convert HD to HD, HD to SD, SD to SD.

Note, I haven't tried out FFmpeg but I have heard some good words of it. You may give it a go and come back to us.

Quote Originally Posted by jaeent View Post
    I got a new camera and it films in AVCHD format. It doesnt seem to be recognized in Adobe Premiere CS3, But it does Adobe Premiere CS4 but comes up choppy. All I wanna do is edit it like a normal mpeg file but cant seem to find a converter for it. Any solutions? Thanks
    When you say it is choppy, could you be seeing interlace jitter, I have had issues with converting AVCHD to DVD mpeg and didn't realize that the converter was making the DVD lower field first as soon as I changed the field order to upper field first which is what AVCHD is my problems went away
    Bryan

It might be a good idea to grab the latest VLC media player which plays MTS files perfectly. If the clip has a lot of motion, yes, you will see interlacing lines but it shouldn't stutter !! Depends of course on your computer specs and your AVCHD bitrate too!! I'm playing files with plenty of motion shot at 13mbs on a DuoCore 2.2GHz with 3GB ram and it plays smoothly. However remember that nothing short of a fast quadcore will play edited MTS files. Just take 2 clips and crossfade them in your editor and watch your computer stumble as soon as it hits the transition!!!

It's important to decide on what output you will generally use too!! I deliver wedding videos on DVD so my AVCHD footage for clients is immediately transcoded to DV-AVI files and they still look awesome!!! (I did a few tests with raw AVCHD rendered to SD and transcoded AVCHD rendered to SD and it's hard to tell the difference)

Chris