Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apologies to all who....

Default Apologies to all who....

... get a copy of the commemorative DVD with my competition entry on it.

Over the weekend I put a copy on a rewritabel DVD jyst to see what it was like when watched on a (half) decent TV in widescreen.

The result.... really nasty!!!!

It's the sound you see. I certainly haven't mastered sound levels as you'll see.

I played with the sound on the PC until it sounded right from there. A little quiet hence I upped the power a little. APplied noise filters to remove background noise etc etc.

Now I play it through a decent amp to 'hear it properly' and it all just sound so cack. The voice is tinny with a sort of echo (reverb?) after going the the noise filter, the fades are bad too. Volume way far too high.

And it all sounded so ok on the PC through small little speakers and the little portable TV next to it. At least no-one said anything.

Jeez, I've a lot to learn.

So, apologies in advance for anyone who gets to see it - or more importantly, hear it, from the DVD Marc is working on.

Blog Entries

I need to become an expert on sound in the next two weeks as the people doing the speeches for the wedding at the weekend refused to wear a mic and there was no room for a mic on the table... PLUS, I didn't realise the XL2 mic was so poor.

Marc,
    Eek!

Millsy,
    If you want to borrow a shotgun mic for any filming just let me know (and I'll borrow your paglight )
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Quote Originally Posted by LJR
    Millsy,
    If you want to borrow a shotgun mic for any filming just let me know (and I'll borrow your paglight )
    It shouldn't be a problem next time I hope. Before I make the next 'masterpiece' I fully intend to buy a decent camera and microphone.

The main problem is the volume levels. I must read up on this so I can max out at 0db or whatever the right number is. The other thing that went wrong is the noise filters to get rid of that tumble dryer (remember that?) has made the sound all tinny.

So lesson learned here. Listen to sound (whilst editing) on a 50 5.1 amp on the PC to play back on 450 amp and 300 speaker set = recipe for disaster!!!!!!

As for the paglight.... you're welcome to have a lend anytime matey

I think the general recommendation is to listen to the sound while you film through a pair of headphones connected to the camcorder. This gives a true representation of the sound your camcorder 'hears'

Shame about the tumble dryer. Although I don't remember hearing it when I viewed the video (through my PC 5.1 set up).
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Shame about the tumble dryer. Although I don't remember hearing it when I viewed the video (through my PC 5.1 set up).
    I got rid of the dryer sound by applying noise filters. But not quite as cleanly as I first thought. Through my PC 5.1 setup is sounded ok but through a 'real' amp it's much worse than hoped for.

Never mind. Stored away as a lesson learned.

Blog Entries

I think the general recommendation is to listen to the sound while you film through a pair of headphones connected to the camcorder. This gives a true representation of the sound your camcorder 'hears'
    But remember to use a decent pair Oh, now I know!

Jeez, I've a lot to learn.
    There is always more to learn than there is to teach.

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Default about sound lvls and monitoring in realtime

[quote="LJR"]I think the general recommendation is to listen to the sound while you film through a pair of headphones connected to the camcorder. This gives a true representation of the sound your camcorder 'hears'

Have a question in reference to LJR's quote above.
    When u say listen to the sound thru headsets,do u mean monitoring in realtime or record /rewind/playback and then make the call if sound lvls were ok.
    I have a GL 2 and I remember reading that u cannot monitor/listen 2 sound via headphones while recording.Is it a camera specific feature or common to most ?!!?!!

the GL2 does have nifty sound lvl control dials for l/f channels and visual indicators but nuthing wud beat actually listening to whats been recorded.

thanks much!!
    **iM rICK J@mES biATCh**

Windows 2000 PRO (NTFS),Pentium 4 2.2 ghz,
    Asus P4B533 w/t Intel 845 chipset,Maxtor 60 gig 7200rpm,1 gig DDR PC 2700 ram,
    nVidia MX 420 64 mb agp,NEC 4x DVD +/- R/RW,Lite-On 52x Cd-R,Adobe Premier 6.0.

Default about sound lvls and monitoring in realtime

[quote="LJR"]I think the general recommendation is to listen to the sound while you film through a pair of headphones connected to the camcorder. This gives a true representation of the sound your camcorder 'hears'

Have a question in reference to LJR's quote above.
    When u say listen to the sound thru headsets,do u mean monitoring in realtime or record /rewind/playback and then make the call if sound lvls were ok.
    I have a GL 2 and I remember reading that u cannot monitor/listen 2 sound via headphones while recording.Is it a camera specific feature or common to most ?!!?!!

the GL2 does have nifty sound lvl control dials for l/f channels and visual indicators but nuthing wud beat actually listening to whats been recorded.

thanks much!!
    **iM rICK J@mES biATCh**

Windows 2000 PRO (NTFS),Pentium 4 2.2 ghz,
    Asus P4B533 w/t Intel 845 chipset,Maxtor 60 gig 7200rpm,1 gig DDR PC 2700 ram,
    nVidia MX 420 64 mb agp,NEC 4x DVD +/- R/RW,Lite-On 52x Cd-R,Adobe Premier 6.0.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast