Thread: RC Formation Flying Video with aerial and ground cameras

Question RC Formation Flying Video with aerial and ground cameras

I don't know that I can really call myself an expert at editing, but I like to think I'm getting better at it. I would have to say that this is probably the best editing job on any of my videos so far, but I know that there is room for improvement, and I'd like to hear some suggestions from other people.

I should probably point out that this is a hobby for me and not a career. I just want some advice on how to make my RC videos look better.

I liked it a lot. mixed the shots up well, what were the cams you had on the planes?

Only thing I'd say is off the top of my head the obvious change in colour saturation between the ground based stuff and the bullet-cam footage.

Some grading in post to marry them together would be an improvement.

Capturing some sound and mixing in the engine noise with the music might be nice too.

Cool stuff though

Thats a great video..

But you know what's missing in my mind..

Goes back to one of my video mantras, 'faces are more interesting than places' (or little RC planes), I beliebe it needs a couple of cut aways to the people flying the machines in the video, and in doing that it would suite a 3 min duration.

Then again I may be totally wrong..please tell me if I am.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rollingstock View Post
    Then again I may be totally wrong..please tell me if I am.
    I think you're absolutely right. And this would be SO easy to cheat.

I thought possibly some split screen effect with the onboard cam in sync with the wide angle shots - and taking on board rollingstock's suggestion some wide angle split with reaction/concentration shots.
    Tim

I just had a look at it on youtube and it's only just been posted, usually stuff like this on the tube goes ballistic, if I was this tuber I would use the very popular tags that the other popular videos that are like this has..

A duration no longer than 2 mins would also make it fly better on the tube, cold hard facts which are now well known, attention spans on the tube are getting shorter and shorter.

There is my very strong tip of the day from a nobody youtuber..

If it had the pilots as cut aways in the video and a tighter edit it would be a killer clip..

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I do appreciate it the input, and it certainly is a lot more helpful than the 'this video sux' type comments I normally get on youtube.

I will definitely try to incorporate some of these ideas into my next video.

As for the cameras, I'm using a Canon Vixia AVCHD camcorder on the ground, and a FlyCamOne on the airplane. I may have to get a better camera for the aerial shots, but I haven't found a suitable one yet.

Hello HellRazor

In relation to the comments like
    'this video sux' type comments I normally get on youtube.
    This is great, as one of the biggest problems on the tube is actually grabbing any sort of comment, every comment be it good, bad or ugly raises the profile of the video, thats a hard pill to swallow but a cold hard tube fact.

When I make a video now I make sure there is a goof moment, or some set up actors anything to spur the audience ot respond, and it doesn't take much. If i see a comment like this video sux, to me thats saying this video works, I hope you understand this in a positive way.

Rule number 5 on the tube is leave every comment, and often other tubers will come to your rescue and comment back the other way. I am writing a book so I can't tell you the other 15 rules, good luck.

And sorry to the forum boards, I have spoken too much about the tube of later here and I know that's out of line, I will stop.

How about this one