Thread: Icehockey Pre-Season Video

Default Icehockey Pre-Season Video

This is an official Pre-Season Video I produced for a swiss ice-hockey team...

Speeches are in swiss-german

Music Immediate Music - Epicon (of course officially licensed)
    Scenes are directly from a swiss pay-tv sports channel...
    Last edited by madcybi; 08-06-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Blog Entries

I was going to say the shots were very good but the fast fade in/very brief shot/slow fade to black was immediately distracting and served no purpose. Then I read

Quote Originally Posted by madcybi View Post
    Scenes are directly from a swiss pay-tv sports channel...
    So only the second coment is really relevant.
    Sorry if this sounds harsh but to me this was just a collection of shots.
    As everything faded to black there was no creativity shown in linkimg the shots - they could have been (and may well have been) just random good shots. To me some of the cuts seemed to fight against the pulse of the music which suggests it was cut without any thought to the beat.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I was going to say the shots were very good but the fast fade in/very brief shot/slow fade to black was immediately distracting and served no purpose. Then I read

So only the second coment is really relevant.
    Sorry if this sounds harsh but to me this was just a collection of shots.
    As everything faded to black there was no creativity shown in linkimg the shots - they could have been (and may well have been) just random good shots. To me some of the cuts seemed to fight against the pulse of the music which suggests it was cut without any thought to the beat.
    Hey Tim

Thanks for the feedback I'm still learning! Hmmm, the movie is just a small teaser-trailer for the pre-season phase of the swiss icehockey season. It was my intention to do it as simple as possible. No special fade-ins / outs, just simple fade-to-blacks.

Could you also detail the fact, that it doesn't fit to the music or where it does not fit to the music? I really tried to stick to the sound of the music, but it seems that I missed it.

But due to the really good feedback from the icehockey team's community itself, it could also be that you only like the vid if you are a fan of the team

Would be great, if you could detail the thing with the sounds.

Thanks anyway. Other comments?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madcybi View Post
    Hey Tim

Would be great, if you could detail the thing with the sounds.
    I withdraw my previous comments! Listening on a different system (one with only a built-in PC speaker, funnily enough) it's a lot more obvious how you'e cut it so each shot fades in with the percussion beat which comes in on beat 3.5 (if you understand what I mean - the music is 3/4 and there's a drum beat of the upbeat).
    This gets full marks for experimentation from me - I like avoiding the obvious always cutting on the 1st beat of the bar. However it still doesn't quite work for me.
    There are a couple of places in the music where the pecussive beat is moved and this seems to grate rather than add emphasis.
    I think I'd have matched fade IN with the crescendo on the first beat of each bar. But then it might have been too obvious.

Not to worry. For ME it just doesn't quite work. That doesn't mean it won't for others and you've already had some positive feedback so that's great.
    Tim

Scenes are directly from a swiss pay-tv sports channel... So you didn't actually do any filming yourself?

Nope, it's "just" cutting & composing...why?