Thread: Ulead 8 vs. Ulead Movie Factory - rendering/burning question

Default Ulead 8 vs. Ulead Movie Factory - rendering/burning question

I'm using ULead 8 for the first time and absolutely love it! It does everything I need in order to edit my movies, encode to MPEG and burn to a DVD. However, the only issue I have is in the final AUDIO on the DVD when it's done.

The opening music with the menu is fine, but there's no question the music that accompanies the video sounds muffled to me. It's loud and crisp when I watch it as an MPEG on the computer, but dull and muffled on the DVD.

Does Movie Factory bring something to the table that ULEAD 8 doesn't in the way of final results after burn? Is there an adjustment I can make with Ulead 8 that I'm not aware of? I did "amplify" the music, but that only seemed to muffle it more.

In Video Studio 8 it is worth checking your output settings as follows,

1. From the File menu select Project Properties

2. Ensure that the Edit file format dropdown box is set to MPEG

3. Click the Edit button

4. Click the Compression Tab

5. Set the Media type to PAL DVD (or NTSC DVD if you are in North America)

6. Click the OK button twice

6. Continue your project to completion as normal

Try that and please post back. If that does not resolve the problem can you post back and advise if you are launching Movie Factory from within Video Studio (i.e. from the Share Tab > Create Disc) or if you are launching as a separate programme.

Thanks
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Thanks for your response, I will try this later today. FYI........I do not have Movie Factory. I am strictly using Ulead 8 and was asking if there's something about Movie Factory that makes it a better program than Ulead 8 for creating the DVD.

Ah! When you click the Share Tab in Video Studio it actually launches a cut down version of Movie Factory. It is worth checking that the settings in Movie factory match the settings in your project. To do this take the following steps,

1. From Video Studio click the Share Tab

2. Hold don the ALT key and press G

3. Select Preferences

4. Make sure that the VCD Player Compliant and Apply anti flickering checkboxes are checked, and ensure that the Perform non-square pixel rendering checkbox is unchecked

5. Set the TV System dropdown box to PAL/SECAM for Europe or NTSC for North America/Japan

6. Click OK

7. Hold down the ALT key and press G

8. Select Disc Template Manager

9. Select High Quality if your movie is under an hour, otherwise select an appropriate quality to suit the length of your movie on a single DVD.

10. Look at the Properties box on the lower half of the screen it should read (with the obvious substitution of NTSC for Northa America and 29.97fps instead of 25)

MPEG files
    24 Bits, 720 x 576, 25 fps
    Lower Field First
    (DVD-PAL), 16:9
    Video data rate: Variable (Max. 8000 kbps)
    LPCM Audio, 48 KHz, Stereo
    11. If the settings do not reflect the above click the Edit button and play about with the settings until they match the above illustration.

12. Take your project to completion and enjoy.

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc

Oops, silly me, I only answered part of your question.

am strictly using Ulead 8 and was asking if there's something about Movie Factory that makes it a better program than Ulead 8 for creating the DVD.
    In my opinion, stick with Video Studio, it provides much more functionality in terms of editing. If you upgrade to the full version of Movie Factory then you will get more templates and a bit more control over the DVD creation process and you get to save your own custom menus. But to be honest these are marginal benefits. The set up you have is really more than adequate for basic DVD creation.

Good luck, post back and let us know how you get on.