Thread: ANYCT Productions Presents:

Default ANYCT Productions Presents:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6nvv9yY85Y]YouTube - Reginald Fancyman - Ep. 01 - You Gotta Drink Tea[/ame]

Constructive feedback welcomed, hope you all enjoy =)

Blog Entries

Constructive, eh?
    OK Script/Plot/Character either get a new writer or travel back in time to the early 1970s where you may just find a market among sixth formers (high school kids to you) who think they like Monty Python but actually miss the point.

Camerawork/Editing
    Framing is appalling. A lot of the time we have Reg seated at the table and yet this barelt fills a quarter of the available space. Furthermore his head is dead center - there's too much space above him ("head room")
    Some of the shots are badly underexposed so we can't see what's going on.
    At least one (the guy in the hat holding the broom) was badly overexposed.
    You've celarly given no thought to lighting.
    And where are the interesting shots, close ups, angles etc?
    Each scene is shot from one and only one location. This is DULL DULL DULL

Consider (eg scenes of Reg at table)
    Establishing shot - wide angle of Rag at table outside, much like you have at present but with Reg's eyes a third of the way from the to of the frame.
    Cut to a 3/4 angle (ie 45 degreed from onbe side) mid-shot showing the top half of reg and enogh of the table to include the various items.
    As Reg is pouring, close up on the ware pouring (or tea bag going in or some sort of close up on the action)
    Maybe cut to his face showing concetration
    Cut to mid-shot showing him lifting cup to mouth
    Cut to extreme close up of lips supping tea OR close up of whole face as he sups tea so we get reaction
    Do you se hao this adds interest to the whole thing? No only does it mean the poor viewer isn't stuck watching the same old scene, but he gets drawn into the scene and the character as he gets to see the action and reactions.

Cut to panning shot showing Hitler sneaking in which ends pan on identical shot to establishing shot. Ideally this will start as a close up of "Hitler" and zoom out, but achieving a good zoom and pan combination takes much practice.

Can you see how this might add drama? We've cut from the scene we've established and the viewer feels comfortable with to a totally deparate shot of the villain. The viewer has no frame of reference for the villain and has no clues as to where he is. It's deliberately disorientating for a moment - and then the suspense is rewarded as we bring Reg back into frame, and the wide angle establishing shot puts everything into context.

(As an aside - it's good that the villain enters from the left of the screen. Apparently, persumably because we in the western world read from left to right our scanning of the fram is the same, we end up looking at the right of the screen, so anything we want to introduce as a surprise should enter our view from the left)

This may sound unnecessarily complex but actually it's not too difficult to pull off. There are two main camera positions (wide angle and mid shot). Assuming you are working with one camera. Shoot the whole scene from both of those angles (obviously the actors have to be consistent). Shoot the close ups (which will be much more selective) a few times to give you a choice for best matching & best acting in the edit.

When you edit (within a scene), wherever possible cut on movement (eg Reg reaching towards the jug or lifing the cup). The eye does not notice the minor continuity errorsthat will exist in the background if it is focusing on a movement.

I iked the choice of music.

Hope that helps.
    Tim

I'm not going to repeat all of what Tim said but use all of his advice in your next production. You have a central character who needs some good writing behind him to put him and the other performers into situations where story lines can be developed.

Someone sitting at a table drinking tea and repeating the same line over and over doesn't work, nothing really happens in the video to hook the audience. When I first heard the music and saw the guy I thought it was a video about a silent movie actor called Roscoe Conkling Arbuckle. And that we were going to see some physical and knockabout comedy but it didn't materialise.

Set up a situation for the central character and put obstacles in his way both inanimate and human, look at the old Charlie Chaplin films where you had screen heavy Eric Campbell wanting to throttle Chaplin at every opportunity. I think there is potential to develop this if you wish to create a character such as Roscoe Arbuckle or similar but it needs a lot of work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    I'm not going to repeat all of what Tim said .
    Good! No-one deserves that
    Good advice on the story, chararcter, writing. Fatty Arbuckly - of course! I knew there was something nagging away at me. Definite potential with the character.
    Tim

I can thank James Mason and Carl Davis from 'Hollywood'... going back 30 years now for that introduction to the early days of modern cinema.

Constructive feedback welcomed
    Sorry, lost me here..

If it takes over 60 seconds to get to the actual feature on a 5 min video, to me that's pushing your luck, you have to respect viewers time.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo