Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A rock music video with underwater scenes and explosions

Default A rock music video with underwater scenes and explosions

Hello!

I wasn't quite sure if I should post it here or in the VXF section. But Since I want critique on the whole video and not just the special FX's I choose it to be here. So here it goes:

I have now finished a music video that I have been working on for almost a month.

I did this video alone, everything from getting amps and equipment, getting permits to shoot to composting the VFX.

The budget was almost nothing. An underwater plastic bag for the camera (wich I will have a lot of use for in the future) and a roll of duct tape.

Time spent on this video:

preproduction: 1 week

shooting: 5 hours

editing: 15 hours

VFX: ~60 hours.

So here it is
    Shot with a Nikon D90

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEB0Bo3Ejfs]YouTube - Class of Kill'em High - Wailcock (Official music video)[/ame]

Default What A Hot VID!!!!!!

Hey dude,

I personally LOVE IT!!!!!!, Don't do anymore....!!!!

'The art to good art is knowing when to stop' Zandebar

LOVE LOVE LOVE it's, Drinks all round I would say.........

On a more of a critique front as you did ask, and am really pushing here as it's your interpretation, not mine.

I would have used less fire (less is more as they say); the underwater shots great a little too long, a short an snappy thing... Into the 3rd min the fire starts, I would have had some on the guitar and strings coz at this point he was smoking and giving it some. Then leading up his arm then explode HIM!!! OH!!! NO! NO! NO!, just kidding on the exploding him bit. With the fire going up the arm and on to his shoulder, would give reason to why he is on fire and whilst adding to the intensity of the music and feeling.

Just a thought, but EXCELLENT, Send it to MTV and the like; I would really enjoy watching that on TV. This would stand up with any music vid today, some are shocking.

OMG!!! you have made me watch it a few times now..... I also wouldn't have the guitarist arm on fire at 1:33 I think its too soon for that and kinda spoils it for later, when you whip it into action. I also found that glarring a little too much, love the effect but to intense at times. You have some cracking shots, would make some fantastic stills, I like the colour of the vid and over all feel of the colour. Think I have watch it five time now lol, I think you did put some fire on the guitar but I didn't notice it for a few times, may be a bit more. Going back to the water scenes, great as they are; shorter, snappier and in time with the guitar strokes. Would be how I would have done it.

As is I could watch it many times and wouldn't get bored, so on that front I feel its a winner. Great work remember the comments that I have made is what I would do. After all its your interpretation your sweat, hard work and sleepless nights. I like MUCHCO....

WELL Done! Thumbs up from me
    Last edited by zandebar; 08-05-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Thank you very much Zandebar!

I actually agree with you on the 1:33 part.

That was the first fire explosion I did on the video. And after that I kinda wanted the fire and explosions to escalate more and more the closer to the end. So the 1:33 part was something that didn't follow the escalate part and I was to tired to remake that scene when I was done

Glad to be of help...

We all know that this area is all so very subjective, but I like the concept, I followed the youtube link. Someone said there that the explosions didn't match the music. Even though this is kinda true it's close enough, the first one was a scene change the rock falling to earth and hitting the ground, then the shot of the band followed by the explosion. I like the way that you did it, I thought it worked better that split second thing. Its like the calm before the storm, a little earri that didn't bother me, lol some people.

Am a boom boom type of person, I like things snappy, a scenes change with music.
    thats just me, wouldn't it be boring if everybody did it that way...

Anyway I would love to see anychanges you make to the video.

How well known are the band? am in the UK

Oh another thought I woud love to see what you would do with a solo artist, saw the one on youtube... I know you can do better.....

all the best

Zandebar

Blog Entries

I thougt that was excellent. The colouring was superb.
    I'm not 100% sure about the effects. If they were meant to look real, despite being very good, they failed. Please don't ask me why, I don't know enough about this sort of stuff, they just didn't quite hit the mark. Actually that's not true. Many DID hit the mark, it's just that when one or two don't look real it makes it obvious that they're all done in post.

If they were meant to look tongue in cheek, then they looked a bit too real (see, you can't win)

I thought the underwater shots were superb (again I enjoyed the colour treatments there - was that done on the shoot with gels) and I liked the contrast to the faded look of the overland shots. Interestingly the singer looked more like he was singing in the underwater shots. On a few of the land shots he clearly wasn't belting out like he was on the soundtrack.

The band obviously owe everything to Nirvana and the underwater scenes are an obvious homage to the Nevermind cover.

(Even I noticed that and I'm far too old to have heard of Kurt)
    Tim

Just out of interest which software have you used to create the video?

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I thougt that was excellent. The colouring was superb.
    I'm not 100% sure about the effects. If they were meant to look real, despite being very good, they failed. Please don't ask me why, I don't know enough about this sort of stuff, they just didn't quite hit the mark. Actually that's not true. Many DID hit the mark, it's just that when one or two don't look real it makes it obvious that they're all done in post.

If they were meant to look tongue in cheek, then they looked a bit too real (see, you can't win)

I thought the underwater shots were superb (again I enjoyed the colour treatments there - was that done on the shoot with gels) and I liked the contrast to the faded look of the overland shots. Interestingly the singer looked more like he was singing in the underwater shots. On a few of the land shots he clearly wasn't belting out like he was on the soundtrack.

The band obviously owe everything to Nirvana and the underwater scenes are an obvious homage to the Nevermind cover.

(Even I noticed that and I'm far too old to have heard of Kurt)
    Finally someone who saw my nevermind album cover tribute!
    The underwater colors were done in post. Keyframe animated the hue to change over time.

Quote Originally Posted by zandebar View Post
    Just out of interest which software have you used to create the video?
    I have used Adobe Premiere and Adobe After effects, booth CS3.

Cheers!
    Last edited by erxxi; 08-05-2009 at 10:17 PM.

Amasing...You'll go a long way to find a pro band video anywhere near as good.

I can see there was tons of work done at all stages pre-during and post.

Well done mate...Its a credit to your efforts.

Blog Entries

[quote=erxxi;119704] Finally someone who saw my nevermind album cover tribute!
    [QUOTE]
    Part of me is disappointed this wasn't done subconsciously
    Quote Originally Posted by erxxi View Post

The underwater colors were done in post. Keyframe animated the hue to change over time.
    A very tidy job you've made of it too.
    Tim

Loved it. Great video. I bet the band were happy!

I can't really add anything that hasn't been said already other than I enjoyed it!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast