Thread: It's those girls feeling stupid again!

1. Default It's those girls feeling stupid again!

We are getting nowhere with this pop video we're trying to make.
    We cant seem to get the lighting right & our filming looks dull & not at all sharp.
    ]The lighting we have is 3 fluorescent arrays on tripods bravely made by my dad: 1 x 500W used as key
    1 X 400w used as fill (1 bulb removed so 300W)
    1 x 400w with barndoors used as backlight
    We have 2 X1000w halogen worklights to illuminate the green screen background but when these are turned on the camcorder (Canon HV30 all settings on automatic) dulls the foreground even more.
    Lastly, my dad has a fairly ordinary looking Olympus digital camera (C-310).
    Should we expect our camcorder footage to compete with stills from that, because it doesnt come anywhere near it.
    We would be so grateful for advice.

Sarah & Allison

Perth, Western Australia

Hi Girls

It honestly sounds like you are trying to light a football stadium!!! You probably have so much light that the poor camcorder is pushing the shutter speed as far as it can go and closing the iris. With auto, the HV30 will try to expose on the general scene and if you have an extremely bright green screen it will see the scene as very bright. The idea with a green screen is not to light it brightly but to light it evenly!!! If you are key lighting then do it on the performers and keep the green screen bathed in soft light so it's easy to key out later. If you are working in the living room you can definately dump the 1000w lamps for a start!!! I'm not familar with the manual facilities of the HV30 but you should be able to put it into manual and see what your iris and shutter settings are. As long as your shutter is 1/60th or a tad higher that's fine. Start with just a couple of lights and see if they are enough to lift the iris setting so it's not using any video gain and the iris is not fully open.

3. Default

Its tricky to offer advice without seeing what your footage looks like- could you post a still?

You might find taking the camera off "full auto" sorts this problem out. I'm not familiar with the HV30 (i'm a Sony man myself) but I believe it has manual shutter, iris and gain control so you can set it to give you a little more control over the image you're going to get better results as the camera in full auto is almost working against you.

If the room is quite small you need to make sure you're not washing the picture a little with any of your lighting being too direct. Oh and make sure you've not got too much lighting coming from other sources such as the room next door or the room light especially in close proximity to the camera.

Oh and i'm surprised to see the lack of a plug for your music- i'm sure everyone on here is curious

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Warnes View Post

Oh and i'm surprised to see the lack of a plug for your music- i'm sure everyone on here is curious
    I think that's the idea. They stated in another thred they wanted to launch the whole package together (music and video and, if I'm not mistaken, website). It's a marketing ploy - and good on them for that.

However, S&A, this is your first effort. Don't get too bogged down in getting everything perfect (I have a tendency toward this myself and as a result hardly ever produce anything - just loads of work in progress0.

As Chris & Antony say it's very difficult for anyone to offer meaningful advice without seeing what you're trying to do. No matter how good your first video is, it'll be rubbish compared with your next one. Practice is what counts.

If you don't want to let the cat out of the bag, could you not record a different video using the same or very similar setup and post it here. Don't worry about content (you won't hear anyone say that here very often!) but stress that you are after a technical review of setup/lighting etc.
    It only need be short, but try to make it complete (ie not just some random shots, you need to see how edits will work for colour, different focal lengths, angles etc)

Even without posting it you'll learn a lot from the experience which will make the "real" attempt more productive.

And don't forget, people producing professional videos spend many years learning their craft. Just because anyone can pick up a camera for a couple of hundred quid capable of taking acceptable quality shots,it doesn't mean we're all instantly Stanley Kubrick.

Aim high, but just keep this in mind and you won't be disappointed if your first results aren't quite up to the standards you'd like to achieve.

Good luck, and like the others, I'm getting itchy to see/hear something

Wow, I like what has been said, there are some GEMS in the posts above. I have to fully agree with Tim he has made an excellent post.

I come from a Photographic background, and when I studied photography back in the days of those excellent smells. One day our tutor said ' whatís the most important part of creating an Image'. He got varied answers; Camera, Lens, Film (oh those were the days FIIILLLMM). His reply was the most important part of creating an image, is the person behind the camera. To echo Timís point and its all so true. a Very good point, which some people need beating with a stick, with that one LOL.

Its not what camera you use or lighting equipment, its the end result that matters.
    If it works it works, the quality of the equipment does help to conform to industry requirements and just making your life easier. But at the end of the day the image or video produced, as in the end result, is all what matters. So you must have a very clear ideas/brief of what you want to achieve, right from the very start.

Adding to the lighting issue; May I suggest you buy a good book, or research online I tend to think a book is better as its more concise.

Its clear and already mentioned you have too much light. My I suggest you start from the bottom up. Build your lighting foundation, and introduce each light one at a time.

This is what I would do, first light the green screen, make sure its even and crease free.

Then light the subject, making sure there are no shadows on green screen.

And then check for light noise with all light turned off, with a fixed setting, using the setting used by the camera for the correct exposure for the scene lighting. If its black then all good, if not correct the issue.

Also as us tecno people say 'RTFM' make sure you have read (camera manual) and understand how your camera functions. Get very familiar with it and from time to time have a quick flick through to refresh your memory.

Check this link out:

This guy says he shot this with a Nikon D90.....

Just goes to show what you can do on a budget......I really like what he has done.!!

May I wish you every success with you video..
    Last edited by zandebar; 08-05-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Adding Link

6. Default

Wow many thanks for all the great advice Chris, Anthony, Tim & Zandebar, we love this forum!
    We will try modifying the lighting & using the HV30 on manual, if that doesn't work we'll post some video to show the problem.
    We havent even started shooting the actual pop video yet weve just been experimenting to get the basic setup right.

Sarah & Allison